PDA

View Full Version : Silly seatbelt chime...

offthahook
11-11-2003, 02:06 PM
I think this has been covered, but the solution isn't clear. I have an 89 lx-i coupe. When I or anyone else opens the pass. side door with the car on, that damn chime goes off. Even if the passenger buckles up, the alarm still beeps. I have to shut the car off and turn it on with said passenger in the car and their door shut. I disconnected the 2 wire seatbelt "alarm" under the seat, but it just turns off the light by the rearview mirror (coupe thing). ANyone know how to make the chime be gone BUT not disconnect everything else in that control box that is behind the radio?? Maybe the wire color of the alarm itself. I think the door switch triggers this damn alarm.

NXRacer
11-11-2003, 02:12 PM
it will trigger the alarm if the key is in the ignition. you can put a piece of foam or something over the chime and it will make it considerably quieter.

offthahook
11-11-2003, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by NXRacer
it will trigger the alarm if the key is in the ignition. you can put a piece of foam or something over the chime and it will make it considerably quieter.
But won't that also mute the chime if I leave the headlights on?? Same chime? I actually do leave my lights on when it is rainy outside, but not dark. There has to be a wire that I could cut that would just kill the alarm for that particular situation. Man, I hope so... :cool: :)

johndej
11-11-2003, 03:04 PM
hmm....... one of the beapers is behind the mirror in that little box thing. i don't know what one that is but i took mine out of there cause it wouldn't stop beeping

3G Jester
11-11-2003, 08:50 PM
OK heres the deal. the buzzer is in the box behind the mount to your reveiw mirror up top. a couple crews and just unlug it--no cutting required.

now. it got so bad that not even turning it of helped. i had to unplug it. Around the same time i had to make sure my car ranevery day or else the batterey would die....failing alternator? nope. i got the slectrical system checked out and there was a short under the passenger seat wich casue the sensor to go off and ther battery to drain all the time. i suggest you guys go get it checkd out if you are having similar problems

offthahook
11-11-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by 3g Jester
OK heres the deal. the buzzer is in the box behind the mount to your reveiw mirror up top. a couple crews and just unlug it--no cutting required.

now. it got so bad that not even turning it of helped. i had to unplug it. Around the same time i had to make sure my car ranevery day or else the batterey would die....failing alternator? nope. i got the slectrical system checked out and there was a short under the passenger seat wich casue the sensor to go off and ther battery to drain all the time. i suggest you guys go get it checkd out if you are having similar problems

I'll try that fa sho. I guess if you had it unplugged and it was "going off", you wouldn't hear it. I guess it would drain the battery after time. Good lookin' out.

Now... anyone know why the fuck it's there in the first place?? I know on some older cars there was a sensor or something in the front pass. seat. If there was a person in that seat, the car would NOT start until they buckled up (or locked the seatbelt together). I know Dodge did this in the early 70's. Sorta good idea if you didn't just clasp the belt behind you. I can see Honda doing it (the chime) if the damn thing would shut off when the belt is locked. But mine won't-- gotta shut the car off and restart. I'm bout to do a "Dear Honda" letter... :wtf:

lightbulblxi
11-15-2003, 11:35 PM
on my car it got annoying even tho it was doing it like it was supposed to. plus i never buckle up so the red light by the mirror got annoying. JUST GO TO THE THING THAT THE BELT plugs into by the seat, and there si 2 wires comin out of it. just cut them. it gits rid of all the beeping altogether and gets rid of the light by the mirror. plus, since u dont need the thing by the mirror u can take everything out of it and use it as a stash spot.

EvilPenciler
11-16-2003, 11:48 AM
Dont cut them .... Unplug them just follow them to the plug .... If you decide to sell your car you never know who might want the chime thingy.

89 Accords Rock
12-08-2003, 09:35 AM
underneath your stereo under the part of the dash there where the carpet is buckled look under there there is a box, Pull the wire harness out from it. That will make it so your things will not chirp! and that does work! haha

offthahook
06-18-2004, 12:34 PM
I unsoldered the actual chime. It's on the PCB in the rear view mirror warning set. All good now...

DanLXI88
06-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Ok I have an 88 LXI and since the car was new I have NEVER heard it chime for the seat belt. WTF? Also If my car sits for a long period of time 3-4 weeks something will run the battery dead. Could these two be connected?

Also the seat belt light on the dash never stays on regardless if the seat belts are connected

DanLXI88
06-18-2004, 01:53 PM
r. plus, since u dont need the thing by the mirror u can take everything out of it and use it as a stash spot.
Is there anyway you could post a picture of this ? I don't have this and have never seen it.

offthahook
06-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Is there anyway you could post a picture of this ? I don't have this and have never seen it.

If you don't have a coupe or a HB, you will not have this warning system (by the rear view mirror)...

mykwikcoupe
01-03-2009, 07:34 PM
i had the same issue on mine. It appears as though the side in question has a bad door open sensor. If the dealership has one in stock replace it. this fixed mine with the same issues. the way i can tell is if the rearview mirror seatbelt indicator is solidly lit then its the seatbelt alarm, i it blinks then its the door open alarm and that why it continues until you turn off the car. The sensors only have 1 small phillips style screw in them and they are a one wire contact that is usually rusted so you may be able to clean it up and save a trip to the dealership. I believe they are like $5 though so buy a few incase they run out. Hope this helps, Mike

jamesh23
01-04-2009, 08:46 PM
mine did that too, but unplugging the wires under the driver seat made it go away. and my headlight chime still works.

OldSkoolA20accord
01-04-2009, 08:53 PM
my shit did that too. pissed me off hardcore. I unplugged the rear view thingy and it stopped. headlight chime still works. unplugging under the seat didnt do shit.