PDA

View Full Version : Compression or Mandrel bends...

88accordlxcarb
11-11-2003, 02:49 PM
Here is the deal, so far only one shop in the Atlanta area has a Mandrel bender(Grand's), and they charge 3$25(with Muffler) for that.

I can get compression(crimp) bends at just about any place for around 150$(average).

Is mandrel really worth it? I talked to one guy and he basically said with out a turbo, or any other type of performance upgrade its not worth the extra money and time.

I was thinking 2.25", but since i remember seeing a picture where the compression pipe around the bends is not really 2.25, its less, unlike mandrel where its the same size throughout the pipe. I really want to keep the low end, since thats where most of my driving comes in, so thats the number one concern.

Thanks

Justin86
11-11-2003, 02:58 PM
That is a bunch of crap $325. Mine only cost $170 with muffler and a tip. Having to pay more for mandrel bends is a load of crap. There is only 4 shops that do custom piping and all of them have mandrel benders. And you live in Atlanta, here in Grants Pass there is maybe 30,000 people.

dXsquared
11-11-2003, 03:06 PM
just go with compression.. its no biggie...

if you had a 200 hp car, mandrel would be more important

Travis

shepherd79
11-11-2003, 03:12 PM
2.25" compression pipe should be fine.

88accordlxcarb
11-11-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Justin86
That is a bunch of crap $325. Mine only cost $170 with muffler and a tip. Having to pay more for mandrel bends is a load of crap. There is only 4 shops that do custom piping and all of them have mandrel benders. And you live in Atlanta, here in Grants Pass there is maybe 30,000 people.

No kidding!

But if they are the only ones, they can charge whatever they want....

Thanks Shep and dxhatch, i might go with the crimp, but i was looking at the pacesetter exhaust is only 170$ at Summit. It might be cheaper, or rather more cost efficent(vs power) to get that, weld on a new muffler and buy a cat.

Justin86
11-11-2003, 04:01 PM
that is funny they are the only ones in the entire city. Here all the small no name shops have the benders and even my HS had a bender and we are like the one of the porest schools in Oregon.
It would be cheaper to my the pacesetter cat back exhaust.

SteveDX89
11-11-2003, 04:50 PM
Just get the Pacesetter and chop the muffler off and get your own. You can sell the muffler on eBay too. I sold it for 25 bucks. I feel bad for that guy.