PDA

View Full Version : WTF starter just spining and won't enaged

mike king
11-12-2003, 10:03 AM
It suddenly just making ginding noise and wouldn't enaged with the flywheel,starter tested ok and no missing teeeth in flywheel,could the flywheel just move a bit away form it orignal position?

BootMachine
11-12-2003, 11:13 AM
no...if your flywheel moved your are going to have a lot more problems then you bargened for!

Your starter solonoid is fukked! Bang it with a hammer to get the car started and then get your ass to honda and buy a new one!

NXRacer
11-12-2003, 11:17 AM
either that or you're battery is low and just doesnt have enough oomph to kick out the starter. if you're battery is kinda old, try putting in a new one temporarily, charging your current one or maybe even trying a jump. Get a voltage meter and see what your battery has for power. it should be at least 12 volts.

Vinny
11-12-2003, 11:39 AM
ok maybe its me misreading or maybe its other people. What I hear is that the starter is engaging and that its grinding when it engages. You say you got it tested so I assume you mean took it in and had it tested. My assumption would be that either the teeth on the flywheel or on the starter are worn down. Possibly the starter isn't kicking all the way out

cruznz
11-12-2003, 01:57 PM
yeh,...check the teeth on the flywheel first,...they'll wear out before the teeth on the starter do.....if its ok, then the windings in the solenoid are faulty.
Auto electrician can do a hold in/pull in test on the solenoid if you dont have the ammeter to check it.
If you have an ammeter, i can get a diagram of how to test it if someone wants to post it

mike king
11-12-2003, 05:40 PM
Well this all happened right after i did one second of starter spin while engine was running,could one second screw up all the teeth in flywheel?

BTW the car is aviable for parts (86lx AT) [email protected]

k-roy
11-13-2003, 12:57 AM
Here is the solenoid test cruznz sent me:

http://monolith.projectgamma.com/~kroy/3geez/solenoid%20test.jpg

mike king
11-13-2003, 08:37 AM
Where is that S+? I see the SW and B+ on my starter only.

cruznz
11-13-2003, 12:44 PM
its the wire that goes from solenoid to starter