PDA

View Full Version : hellp

lilphillie78
11-12-2003, 10:27 AM
My 88 lxi is acting like shit, i put a cheap thermostat gasket on and it leaks! now theres water in my dist cap or something every time i start it up (if it starts) when i hit the gas it just dies Hellp??!! :wtf:

danronian
11-12-2003, 10:34 AM
Did you bleed out the air in the system? Any gasket should work, you just must have installed it wrong somehow, or maybe you overtightened the housing and cracked it. First fix the leak and then worry about the stalling. Just spray some wd-40 in the distributer cap to displace the water. That might fix it until you fix the leak.

Dibbs
11-12-2003, 10:45 AM
Yeah, you've got to tighten the bolts a little on each side and repeat to make sure the gasket slides in the housing evenly. The metal is soft and very easy to over torque so you may have cracked your housing, which is letting fluid by.

NXRacer
11-12-2003, 10:48 AM
also you wanna make sure you clean up the surface of the housing so the gasket fits cleanly.

lilphillie78
11-13-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by NXRacer
also you wanna make sure you clean up the surface of the housing so the gasket fits cleanly. I RTV'd the shit out of the gaket so no leaks, it will move now, but barely... I'll try to get the water out of the cap, but after that...?

NXRacer
11-13-2003, 09:36 AM
that could be your problem. you only need a tiny bit of RVT to seal the gasket.

lilphillie78
11-13-2003, 11:28 AM
I didnt use tooo much, but enough to seal it, I'm not a complete amateur, just new to 3 gens Give me a 59 Mercury Skyline anyday:

Chadroper
11-16-2003, 02:51 PM
one time i broke the water thing against the head behind the thermostat. I had to take the head off to replace it.

lilphillie78
11-18-2003, 04:33 AM
got the stuff fixed only to find out that i fried my head gasket... now i need a new motor because mine has too many miles to be doing major repairs...

danronian
11-18-2003, 07:32 AM
How can an engine have to many miles to repair? You do realize your dealing with I honda? I would suggest a compression test to see it it is worth it but since your head gasket is blown, that's not gonna happen. Just fix the gasket, its only one head at least, and not two like a V8. I am sure it would be easier and more practical to change the gasket before the whole motor. But then again if you need a new head that would cost alot, but still less then a motor.

lilphillie78
11-18-2003, 07:35 AM
i'm no good with timing on an ohc and i found an lxi motor for $250 right now its a toss up between power and money...