PDA

View Full Version : EGR how tos

Dustin Imports
11-12-2003, 12:02 PM
ok so i unscrew the thing..

it doenst want to pull off...some rusty springy thing inside is stuck...wasnt sure if i should pull it or not(didnt want to break it0 so I put it back.

should I pull it? or is there something else I need to unscrew?:stick:

k-roy
11-12-2003, 02:01 PM
Are you talking about the valve itself? if so then take the two bolts off and pull, hard. Its probably got an infinate amount of carbon holding it in place. Mine took some work to come out. I filled my valve with j/b weld after removing and cleaning it:D

Dustin Imports
11-12-2003, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by kroy
Are you talking about the valve itself? if so then take the two bolts off and pull, hard. Its probably got an infinate amount of carbon holding it in place. Mine took some work to come out. I filled my valve with j/b weld after removing and cleaning it:D

jb weld..your joking right? no need foir that hole?

Drew

k-roy
11-12-2003, 03:18 PM
I am dead serious.
I took off the air suction and egr tubes out of the header and capped them off. I capped off the egr tube port on the manifold as well. I used the j/b weld on the egr valve so I could block it. I would have put a plate there but I do not really have the tools to make clean looking plate.
Who needs emissions anyways? I sure don't. I am lucky enough to live in a place with no e-checks.
I see you have a LXi, I hear doing this will piss of the ecu. I also see you are in Fl so I would not do it if I were you.

Dustin Imports
11-13-2003, 06:14 AM
no emissions here :smokin:

Dibbs
11-13-2003, 06:32 AM

I see you have a LXi, I hear doing this will piss of the ecu. I also see you are in Fl so I would not do it if I were you.

:werd:

I saw a guy in another forum block off his egr in his 4th gen. HE blocked it off past the EGR in the intake manifold. I can't remember all the specifics, but what he did made the ECU think the EGR was working since air was flowing but in all actuality, the it was blocked off.

Dustin Imports
11-13-2003, 06:54 AM
if by piss off you mean dummy light stays on, thats cool, but if it runs shitty, thats a no-no

Drew

k-roy
11-13-2003, 06:56 AM
Mine runs better without it. That was the last emission control device I removed. The ECU on a carbureated 3G is pretty useless so it does not care. Helll even when I blew the first motor the check engine light did not come on. I can post pics if you want.

Dustin Imports
11-13-2003, 07:39 AM
Mine runs better without it. That was the last emission control device I removed. The ECU on a carbureated 3G is pretty useless so it does not care. Helll even when I blew the first motor the check engine light did not come on. I can post pics if you want.

blown motor or jb weld?

Ill prob jsut pull it off, rip the spring out asnd put it back lol

Drew

k-roy
11-13-2003, 07:47 AM
I blew that motor two years ago. I did the egr trick a few months ago. I let it dry for a day first just to be extra cautious. I hate emissions controls. All they do is take power and response from an allready clean running motor.

k-roy
11-13-2003, 12:28 PM
I just took some pics if anyone cares.

http://monolith.projectgamma.com/~kroy/3geez/hack1.JPG

http://monolith.projectgamma.com/~kroy/3geez/hack2.JPG

I would have used bolts to plug the manifolds if I could have found the correct size and threading. I cut the tubes and pounded them shut on an anvil. Then I bent them back with a bench vise and welded them shut. No leaks!

BMS
11-13-2003, 04:32 PM
Nice. Did you have to adjust anything afterwards, or did it still run perfect?

RustyHo88
11-13-2003, 05:42 PM
I capped off my EGR valve... but i didnt touch the air suction or egr pipes. does that mean my EGR is on all the time? i thought by plugging just the valve, you disabled the whole system. i did notice a difference in gas mileage after i did it also... so hopefully i did something right. tell me if i am wrong... i wont get mad :D

neoblue89lxi
11-13-2003, 07:00 PM
so yuor gas millage will rise if you cap cut off the egr?

Dustin Imports
11-14-2003, 07:13 AM
hell...im gonna do it.

k-roy
11-14-2003, 10:08 AM
I make no guarentes about the mileage. I have absolutely no emissions equipment left and now it gets better mileage. I tweaked the carb a bit after this and it runs great. Now all I need is a DCOE setup and a header and i'll be set for a while.

tmac
11-30-2003, 11:34 AM
I am interested in how to do this for the EX-i, I have tried before but once the ECU picks up on the system being disabled it doesn't run quite as nice as it should. What other emission controls can be disabled or removed?

shepherd79
11-30-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Dustin Imports
hell...im gonna do it.
i wouldn't do it if i was you. you have EFI. if you cap that off you will trick the ECU to run the code all the time. that will cause in high idle and rich mixture.

A20A1
11-30-2003, 12:29 PM

I would have used bolts to plug the manifolds if I could have found the correct size and threading. I cut the tubes and pounded them shut on an anvil. Then I bent them back with a bench vise and welded them shut. No leaks!

:lol POS CARB did the oversized bolt job... then he switched to the crimped pipe.

Justin86
11-30-2003, 02:23 PM
Oversized bolt. Damn I just cut the pipe and used the original nut for it and sandwiched a quarter inbetween the nut and the header. It will throw a code in EFI cars but it does run smoother. I'm working on how to by pass it right now.

k-roy
11-30-2003, 05:44 PM
Hey what size is that? And what size it the Air suction. I only looked at Lowes, I can probably find it if I knew the size.

zero.counter
11-30-2003, 05:51 PM
The ECU on a carbureated
This is oxymoronic. The vacuum hoses and some mechanical valves control emissions. Open up that little box underneath the seat. You will be surprised.

It's all good KROY! :D

k-roy
11-30-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by zero.counter
This is oxymoronic. The vacuum hoses and some mechanical valves control emissions. Open up that little box underneath the seat. You will be surprised.

It's all good KROY! :D

What is in there? I am too lazy to look. Maybe someday