PDA

View Full Version : Steering wheel skake action

SteveDX89
05-01-2002, 04:50 PM
Basically here's one problem. When I doing a pretty decent speed(70) and I hit the brakes hard, the wheel vibrates. When I'm going slower or if I don't hit the brakes as hard at high speed, it's fine. I know it's probably warped rotors. I also noticed on occasion I get a squeal from the front left brakes and the pads are fine. I made sure to check. Would that be a way to isolate the problem to that rotor? I don't want to pay to replace something and it's not the actual problem. Money is very tight for me. Thanks for any help.

AccordChemist
05-01-2002, 05:16 PM
i would start off with some new rotors, theyre pretty cheap for dx lx owners, i think about $15-20. and get some new pads, and if that doesnt fix everything get some new calipers which are also pretty cheap.

Jims 86LXI HB
05-01-2002, 06:32 PM
Question: Can you positively say that all your tires are balanced, up to what ever speed your hitting the brakes? I can get steering wheel shake from time to time. And I know it's coming from the brakes grabbing a vibrating unbalanced wheel. Other wise have your rotors machined or get new ones, their cheap.

87Hybrid
05-01-2002, 06:49 PM
vibration under braking 99% of the time is warped rotors. Do the brake job sugested and that should take care of it. Wheel out of ballance usually vibrates under acceleration above a certain speed but is usually a much slower speed starting around 45mph.

Jims 86LXI HB
05-01-2002, 09:10 PM
Wheel out of ballance usually vibrates under acceleration above a certain speed but is usually a much slower speed starting around 45mph.

So I guess the vibration I feel no matter where the throttle is between 55 to 80 and 25 to 40 isn't the tires. I've driven well over 400k in my lifetime in several different vehicles and when the tires are out of balance they let me know no matter what, accelerating, slowing or steady state. Furthermore, I have new drilled slotted brembo's that I broke in using the lengthy process that was recommended to me by brembo. Only after this break-in process did I begine to use them in ernest. As a matter of driving style I brake from high speeds routinely, twice today 110 down to 75,...quickly I might add. My brakes are not warped. And I can feel that steering wheel shake, matches the rythum from the tires. And it only happens when the tires are vibrating. So that is why I posted what I did.

Beyond a doubt I have a wheel balance problem and 3 trips to have it fixed have failed, only thing that has changed is at what speed they act up. Latest trip added the slower speed vibration, what a joy

:rolleyes:

SteveDX89
05-02-2002, 02:20 AM
I doubt it's a wheel balance problem. I just got those tires in February and they were on the back until mid April. I didn't realize rotors were that cheap. I guess I'll do that. I'll get them at Advance Auto. They're not real anal about returns. In the event, that's not the problem. Thanks guys.

ACCORD EX
05-02-2002, 04:55 AM
does it vibrate over 70 ! ? and does it do that only when braking ! ?

MIKE

SteveDX89
05-02-2002, 09:36 AM
Well right now, it vibrates above about 65 real lightly. The asshole that hit me threw my car out of alignment. I'm gonna see what happens after I get that fixed but it's usually just when I hit the brakes.

Afrosheen
05-02-2002, 09:44 AM
One thing you have to be really careful about it the torque on the front wheels. If some jackass at the shop just uses an impact wrench it'll over-torque the rotors and throw them out of line. You need to make sure you or the shop is torquing to spec. One thing that really impressed me about Discount Tire is that they used a torque wrench on both of the front wheels after replacing my tires. This stopped the high-speed braking wobble that everyone is dealing with. Occasionally you may need to re-torque the lugs just to be sure.

ACCORD EX
05-02-2002, 12:26 PM
i 'll consider first getting the wheels balanced ( just my opinion ! )

MIKE

dosh8er
05-03-2002, 06:39 AM
I agree with you Afrosheen! I got my tires at Discount, and I watched the kid torque each lug down with a torque wrench. Another reason to buy tires there! Plus they have that lifetime service deal, can't pass that up, especially if you get a nail.

jkim1978
05-03-2002, 07:01 AM
i had the same problem... right after i changed my rotors... when i would hit like 70 and slowly brake.. the car would shake horribly.. but when i brake at 30 or 40 it would be fine.... late i found out that.. the rotor i changed was defective... so the shop got me another rotor and it works fine.... i think its your rotor...

anchovies
05-03-2002, 01:15 PM
change in pairs when dealing with the brakes
just a recommendation

POS carb
05-03-2002, 03:22 PM
I have the same probnlem and I'm tired of turning my rotors, here's what I suspect (one or more of the following can be at fault)

damn rotors
upper arm bushings bad, probably my case is using a washer that's too small
bad power steering rack
worn ball joints
worn stabilizer bar bushings
worn lower control arm bushings
worn tie rods

Maverik
05-05-2002, 11:28 AM
ok...... here is what i have to say about this.... i have the same problem.... my steering wheel vibrates and stuff and speeds over like 45 or so .... i thought it was bad rotors.... my mechanic checked and they were fine.... i changed my lower control arm bushings and changed my upper control arm balljoint... changed tierod ends and did aliment... lower balljoints r new.... brake pads are new..... vibtration went away alittle..... i still get vibration when i brake.... here is what everyone forgot to mention..... did anyone check the steering rack???? my is messed up and thats why i have the problem when i brake..... i have also asked my mechanic to check if my idea was right.... and he said i was... ia m just not in th emood right now to change it... i aint got the $$ to put into it... check ur steering rack and make sure thats ok.... that could cause vibration under braking or accelerating..

Jims 86LXI HB
05-05-2002, 11:59 AM
Steering rack bad?, hmm never thought about that. If it is I'm gonna toss it all out including the pump and replace it with a manuel rack from a DX. But that's so much work I doubt I'll bother, lazy lazy.:rolleyes:

TeKKnoTeKK
05-05-2002, 08:23 PM
one last possibility could be bent wheel :bandit:

SteveDX89
05-06-2002, 09:35 AM
Hey Jim, my DX has power steering

87accordlxph
04-30-2003, 03:43 PM
What about bad drive shafts?

Justin86
04-30-2003, 07:12 PM
Yea I had that problem a while ago with high speed braking. I got all new pads and rotors and it stopped.

88LXDUDE16
05-03-2003, 09:45 AM
im just guessing here but could it be a wheel bearing?