PDA

View Full Version : exhaust smoke

swiftly_driven
11-12-2003, 02:57 PM
I have a 88 honda accord. When I start my car in cold weather my idle runs high to 2500-3000 rpms and white smoke comes out the tailpipe. When the temperature of the car is normal, I tap the gas and the smoke disappears and the car is ready to drive. Does this happen in all carb honda accords or is there a problem with my car?

holla back
:wtf:

NXRacer
11-12-2003, 03:09 PM
its just condensation burning out of your exhaust system. All cars do it. nothing to worry about.

shepherd79
11-12-2003, 04:09 PM
white smoke is water or condensation if you live in humid area.

k-roy
11-12-2003, 04:49 PM
Its common. As long as it does not smell like it is running rich you have nothing to worry about.

swiftly_driven
11-14-2003, 06:55 AM
I'm mean it smokes alot...like a huge cloud. What causes this and how can I stop it.? I mean it smokes alot between 2500-3000 rpms, but when its warm it stops. Does everyone accord smoke a lot in cold weather?

holla
:wtf:

bobafett
11-14-2003, 03:17 PM
at least ur not getting blue smoke like me... as long as its not oil ur burning then you are fine! :D

shepherd79
11-14-2003, 04:56 PM
check your oil next time you change it. if it is brown color you are in trouble. you head gasket may be leaking coolant inside the cylinders.

mowery
11-17-2003, 05:34 AM
Next time it happens, jump out and get a lil' whiff of it.

It may actually be oil after all. Every so often, when it gets in the 30's or below, I'll get a significant white-ish cloud after a cold start-up. It'll go away after the engine warms up. I believe it is from a valve guide letting oil seep past when it contracts from getting cold. Strange thing is that it doesn't happen *every* time. Maybe it just depends on where the valve in the guide that is leaking comes to rest when the engine is turned off.

danronian
11-17-2003, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by mowery
Next time it happens, jump out and get a lil' whiff of it.

It may actually be oil after all. Every so often, when it gets in the 30's or below, I'll get a significant white-ish cloud after a cold start-up. It'll go away after the engine warms up. I believe it is from a valve guide letting oil seep past when it contracts from getting cold. Strange thing is that it doesn't happen *every* time. Maybe it just depends on where the valve in the guide that is leaking comes to rest when the engine is turned off.

White could equals coolant or just condensation burning off. All cars puff white smoke when it is cold out, but if it is a huge cloud then it is probably your head gasket. Sometimes they leak just when the engine is cold or hot.