PDA

View Full Version : How to clean the engine from an oil/antifreeze mixture?

dysiu
11-12-2003, 05:37 PM
Hi,
the original problem that caused the antifreeze to get to the engine is gone now... There is a new oil in the engine but I've heard that the antifreeze gets into bearings and can messup the engine big time.
I'd like to know if I can do sth to get rid of the moisture completly. Shold I flush the engine, change oil a couple of times every week or so? Thanks. Greg.

k-roy
11-12-2003, 05:42 PM
I say change the oil a couple more times in the next month. I blew a head gasket once and changed the oil 3 times the first month aftwards. I have not seen a problem since. You should probably flush the cooling system as well to get the oil out of there.

danronian
11-12-2003, 08:28 PM
I heard my mechanic say something about if you get antifreeze in the oil enough it will kill the bearings b/c it would cause corrosion on the surfaces. It makes sense but I never heard of it happening. I would just recommend the flush and ask at the parts store, maybe they have some recomendations on what product to use to flush.

zephyrhonda
11-12-2003, 08:50 PM
antifreeze has no value as a lubricator If you had enough antifreeze run through the oil system the bearings would run dry ( big problem )The antifreeze should settle to the bottom of the oil pan ( oil floats on water ) drain the motor as usual

Rendon LX-i
11-12-2003, 09:39 PM
How did u know u had that problem? did it run wired or something?

dysiu
11-13-2003, 06:15 AM
I don't know if I should write this becaue this is one of the stupidiest things I ever did but when replacing the carb I confused power breake vacuum line with carb coolant line and filled the engine with about 3qt. of antifreeze... Most of it got burned out (lots of white smoke/steam) but some of it got into the oil making it look milky... How stupid.

Thanks for the comments. I'm going to flush the engine and change oil 2 o 3 times in comming weeks.

k-roy
11-13-2003, 07:02 AM
Holy testicle tuesday! Thats a new one. I was assuming you had a blown head gasket.

POS carb
11-13-2003, 10:27 AM
well if you really want to get it all out without tearing down your engine just buy a couple quarts (like 10) of cheap motor oil and fill the motor up as much as you can (DON"T START THE DAMN THING!!) and just let it sit overnight, by the morning any water inside would have sunk to the bottom of the oil pan and you can get it out by opening the drain plug. Let gravity do the work for once

<edit> just to cover my ass (there are a lot of people I know that would probably do this), make sure you drain out all the oil and refill it with the proper ammount BEFORE you start it up, too much oil will cause severe problems if you forget to take it out <edit>

2old_honda
11-13-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by POS carb
well if you really want to get it all out without tearing down your engine just buy a couple quarts (like 10) of cheap motor oil and fill the motor up as much as you can (DON"T START THE DAMN THING!!) and just let it sit overnight, by the morning any water inside would have sunk to the bottom of the oil pan and you can get it out by opening the drain plug. Let gravity do the work for once

<edit> just to cover my ass (there are a lot of people I know that would probably do this), make sure you drain out all the oil and refill it with the proper ammount BEFORE you start it up, too much oil will cause severe problems if you forget to take it out <edit>

thats a good idea :)

dysiu
11-13-2003, 07:22 PM
yeah, really good...