PDA

View Full Version : cooling fan and horn don't work

meohmy01
11-12-2003, 05:53 PM
today i went to pick up my 3rd 3g. it's an 88 accord lx sedan with 176k on it. i picked it up for 400 dollars but it has a few small quirks.

the cooling fan does not come on, the car seems to have an overheating problem as it is so this just seems to make it worse when sitting at idle. (i will flush the system, replace the thermostat and then top it off tomorrow).

the second problem is the horn. it does not work.

i checked the fuses for both items and i haven't really played with it too much sinc eit's 9 at night and i just brought it home so i'm just looking for others ideas before i go ripping stuff apart

thanks

Mac
11-12-2003, 06:16 PM
As far as the cooling fan, there is a switch in the bottom of the radiator. Disconnect plug and jumper it out. Then see if the fan comes on with the key on.

If it does the temp switch is bad.

accordlxi2.0
11-12-2003, 07:17 PM
it's probaly the horn's itself that's out.

Mac
11-12-2003, 07:33 PM
If you can get to the horn, you can put 12 volts across it and see if it works. You might want to check the connection inside the steering wheel. It could be dirty or faulty. You can check it by shorting the wire to ground and see if the horn works.

smufguy
11-12-2003, 09:57 PM
This might not be the problem, but check out the horn relay on the reverse side of the dash fuse box. The name "Horn Relay" will be printed on top of the relay itself. If the relay is fine, then probably its just a bad ground.

accordlxi2.0
11-13-2003, 06:34 AM
i thought hoda's did'nt have a horn relay.
i was told here.

Dibbs
11-13-2003, 06:44 AM
There's also a fan relay in the mystery box as well.

POS carb
11-13-2003, 10:55 AM
1. the fan relay is not usually the cause, the weakest link is the stupid sensor as previously mentioned. Unplug it and put a wire to short out the 2 pins, when you put the key in the "On" position the fan should come on. If not check the fuse first, then the relay, then the fan

2. the horns work on the same circuit as the cruise control, this s to minimize the number of wires that have to go through the clockspring. If your horn and cruise control fuses are OK, check the horns themselves, you need to hook up 12v + and - to the 2 terminals, they shouyld both ring loud. If not replace them. If they do then you have a bad connection somewhere,
start by checking the horn button.
park the car with the steering wheel dead center. remove the 19mm bolt holding on the steering wheel (behind the plastic "H") then you can pulkl the wheel off and you should see I believe 2 pins or three. Use a screw driverand touch the connectors to eachother. If the horn sounds then there's a problem with the button. If not then there's a wiring or relay/fuse problem

meohmy01
11-13-2003, 02:32 PM
ok. another thing i noticed was that the cruise control light doesn't come on when you press the cruise control button in to the on possition. i have another 3g that i'm not going to have finished to drive this winter and boxes full of parts from my dx that is now sitting 6 inches tall in a junk yard somewhere so parts to test things with is no problem.

Mac
11-13-2003, 03:57 PM
Do the brake lights work? They are on the same fuse as horn.

Did you try the cruise control? Could be the light in the cruise switch is blown. You can just pop the switch out and change the bulb if you have spares.

meohmy01
11-13-2003, 03:58 PM
i didin't test the curise control. the dahs says the brake lights are out but i checked the horn fuse.

Mac
11-13-2003, 04:21 PM
Part of this might be a case of burnt out bulbs. Anyway fuse #4 under the hood in the relay/fuse panel supplies 12 volts to both the horn and brake lights.

Have someone step on the brakes and see which if any lights come on. Check the bulbs of the ones that don't light. If none light and the bulbs are good check fuse # 4 under the hood.

Did you try jumping out the switch for the fan?

RustyHo88
11-14-2003, 06:23 AM
if you horns do not work, you cruise control will not work either. you can buy universal car horns from just about any auto parts store, or you can swap them from your parts car. thats what i did, and now my horns, and cruise control both work. yah!