PDA

View Full Version : console lights

barbie-d
11-12-2003, 06:56 PM
Hi - I was sent here because I might get more technical help.
I have a 98 accord that we just picked up. My son had tried to put a stereo in and got it caught on some wires, so I have no illumination lights - speedometer, gas etc.
I have checked all fuses and they look ok. After futher looking for an 'orange' wire, I found one in the engine by the fire wall and it looks like it was pulled out from somewhere.
have a maze of red and black wires under the ash tray that had been sliced for major stereo system that had been installed.
I have removed tape and all connections are tight.
By the way, the drivers door sensor, panel light and dome light do not light up when drivers door is open, but does when the passenger door is opened.
Any suggestions or ideas???
Thanks much.

Mac
11-12-2003, 07:03 PM
Don't know alot about 98 Accord, but it sounds like you need to find where that orange wire came from and repair it. Orange wires are common color code for panel lights.

As far as the dome light not coming on with the drivers door open, Look for a switch on the body on the inside of the door when you open the door. It might be stuck. The switch usually opens when you close the door and closes when you open the door. Activate the switch a few times with the door open and see if the light comes on.

barbie-d
11-12-2003, 07:05 PM
I'll give the door thing a try. Thanks

barbie-d
11-13-2003, 04:18 PM
Switched the contact placts with rear door and now I have lights when door open!!! Thanks got the GREAT help.
Now - The orange wire problem. I see it is spliced to a red wire under the dash. When it comes out of the firewall does any one know where I should look? I have been searching for a frayed wire on the drivers side of engine, Bur I can't find any orange wires or bits of wire hanging out. All wires on that side are securely tied down. I suppose I'll go back out and look some more. Dang daylight savings time. I'm having to work in an under lit garage with flashlight.

Mac
11-13-2003, 04:30 PM
You said that your son was changing the stereo. Was he just replacing it or did he rewire it?

barbie-d
11-13-2003, 04:34 PM
He tried to put it in, realized the connections didnt match up, and when he tried to pull the stereo out, it got caught on this orange
wire, and pulled it form the engine some where. The wire isnt curved like it had been connected, like wires do after the sit in one place for a while. Its almost like it was grounded on the firewall or some place close. There is plenty of length to the wire,
about a foot or so.

Mac
11-13-2003, 04:39 PM
Like I said before I really don't know anything about a 98 but I can just guess. The orange wire comes from under the dash and goes out into the engine area. A good chance it pulled out ot a fuse or connector. Try and move it around the area to see how far it will reach and look for a plug in the area that it might have been pulled from.

Is the loose end of the wire in the engine area?

barbie-d
11-13-2003, 05:46 PM
yep.
I'm back out there with a stronger flashlight. I'll report back soon.

3G Jester
11-13-2003, 06:03 PM
oh god...... :( that poor poor 6th gen....coupe or sedan? v6 or 4cyl?

barbie-d
11-13-2003, 06:07 PM
4 cyld sedan - and i'm obsessed to fix it.

3G Jester
11-13-2003, 06:11 PM
i got a v6 coupe in red......*licks* i love her. ill see if i can dig up a flash light and check it out. i didnt have a problem installing my headunit. dont remeber even comming CLOSE to snagging any wires...so i dont know what your son did. anywho. ill check it out.

just two questions.
1) ash tray? what the hell? mine didnt come with one. and im glad. i thought new cars didnt have ash trays....
2)is your son telling the truth? or at least the whole story? i cant see how one wire in the engine bay would kill all that crap.....

barbie-d
11-13-2003, 06:25 PM
yeah, he is telling the truth. the guy who had this car had it ultra rigged - competion stereo setup- we still have the strobe and the green neon light (His dream car!!!)The spot where the stereo bay/ ash tray is a wire mess. just red and black wires, with the orange wire twisted to a red. I have retwisted and taped them so I know they are making connection.
The lights were working for the illumination when I went in the house for a bit. Kids...

barbie-d
11-13-2003, 06:26 PM
She will be sweet IF I can get her lights going.

3G Jester
11-13-2003, 06:36 PM
how old are you out of curiosity?

barbie-d
11-13-2003, 06:37 PM
old ... 43 and a wannabe mechanic

barbie-d
11-13-2003, 06:41 PM
I see in my haynes that the illumination lights are supposed to be back and red. Orange says chimes. can this be right? Black and red were hooked up to a light to signal neon.strob on. How do I close this connection?? When I hook it back up nothing happens..

guaynabo89
11-13-2003, 09:16 PM
I'm pretty sure honda doesn't use solid orange wire in any of their cars. Its prbably something that got added by the prevous owner.

maybe your son accidentelyy put power to the dimmer grond wir from the radio an caused ashort somewhere or messed up the dimmer.

The red/black is dimmer positive and the red is dimmer ground.

3G Jester
11-13-2003, 09:21 PM
yeah if your gagues work but arent lit up...its the dimmer...but i couldnt figure out for the life of me how he would hit that

barbie-d
11-14-2003, 10:37 AM
Is there a fuse for the dimmer??? I am uable to locte ANY fuse close to this.

shepherd79
11-14-2003, 10:47 AM
i don't know about the 6 gen but in 3 gen we have the fuse box under the hood. you may want to check that too.

barbie-d
11-14-2003, 10:48 AM
I;ll check there again.

dysiu
11-14-2003, 10:49 AM
Make sure your taillights are lighting. In my Honda, there is one common fuse for both tail lights and dash lights. I think the point is when your tail lights are bad you notice it easy.
I also damaged it (dash and tail lights) somehow when replacing a radio but I didn't even pull any wires. One of them just touched ground briefly... Make sure your tail light fuses are good.

barbie-d
11-14-2003, 01:54 PM
*****THE SOLUTION******
After thinking about all these messages, I back tracked and started over again. It was the stereo fuse. Go figure...
Thanks for all the awesome tips. I'll be back looking for more info as time goes on. Thanks to all!