PDA

View Full Version : Cold start problem revisited again...

danronian
11-12-2003, 08:34 PM
Well at first my car would only stall when it was cold and it was cold outside. But now the car stalls a few times after I start it no matter if the engine is warm or not. It seems like an electrical problem since it just shuts off and doesnt sputter like it would do if it was a fuel management prob. It has new filters and only does it when first starting and when the air temp is about 40 degrees F or below. I am asking again both b/c I thought someone might me having this same probelm b/c of the cold and because I am going to the J/y to get a hood support plastic hinge so I can hold my hood up. Any suggestions as to what parts I should pocket / pay for while at the j/y that could possibly fix this prob. The car has had a full tune up and I cleaned the tb. No codes either.

Also, how do I tell the difference between an 88 lxi/sei and 89. I know these are the only two with the clearish front lights but how do I tell the two years apart. I am guessing the VIN has the number 89 or 88 in it? Am I correct?

danronian
11-13-2003, 08:04 PM
Someone must know how to tell the diff between the 88 and 89 fuel injected models!

No one even has an idea what the problem could be? Has anyone ever had trouble with the brake pedal sensor? It seems to me like that might be not letting the engine start. Any educated opinions/assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Jareds 89 LX-i
11-13-2003, 08:41 PM
The only difference between 88-89 EFI that I know of is the addition of a shift interlock mechanism for the auto tranny shifter that was on the 89's only. But yours is manual, so that shoudln't matter any. ECU's were also different, but again that shouldn't matter any if you haven't changed yours.

For your starting issues, it may be the ignition switch. Mine used to do that, it would start up and run for about a second then die just as if I shut off the key. The reason I suspect ignition is because with my alarm that I have, the doors automatically lock when I turn the key to the ON/RUN position. I'd turn it, doors lock, start car and it would die right away, and right as it died the doors would unlock then lock again (keep in mind I haven't touched the key, it's still in the RUN position). Only logical thing I can think of causing that is the ignition switch not making good contact or something like that.

Mine hasn't done that in quite awile though. It was getting pretty bad, so I went to the junkyard and got another ignition switch (just the switch, not the key part). Sure enough as soon as I buy that it stops doing it, and I still haven't put it in and it hasn't done it since, LOL. It knows!!! hahah

Hope that gives ya an idea to look into ;)

danronian
11-13-2003, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the help about the year issue.

Well I figured I would grab a main relay or two and try that since it seems like mine has the same symptoms as when that fails but instead of when it's hot mine does it when it is cold. Ignition switch is something I didnt think of, might be it though. Is this part in the column or am I thinking of something entirely different? Anything that it could be that I could grab at the j/y I want to try in order to at least try to fix this problem.

Jareds 89 LX-i
11-13-2003, 09:01 PM
The key/lock cylinder is riveted to the column if I remember correctly, but if you go behind the lock cylinder you can unscrew just the switch part (you'll see all the wires going to it). Then take the kickpanel out from under the column so you can unplug all the connectors (there's 3 or 4 of them), and the whole harness+switch assembly thing comes out as a whole. I don't know exactly what size the screws for the switch were cuz I don't think I had the right size wrench, but it's real small, like 6mm or around there. Kinda tricky to get off just cuz it's at a weird angle, but not that bad. Careful not to break the little plastic tabs for the screw holes!

danronian
11-14-2003, 04:39 AM
Well I'll try this for sure, that is as long as I can get the part out w/o breaking it. Thanks for the help!