PDA

View Full Version : Window Tint Removal

dna59
11-13-2003, 08:39 AM
What is the best way to remove those old purple, bubble tint from of my windows? I know about using soap and water while peeling them of and using a mixture of alcohol, baking soda, detergent and spraying the window and then putting newspaper over the tint and keep spraying it for like 40 mins. then peel off. I don't know which way would be better or if someone has a better and easier way.

PortugalFocus
11-13-2003, 09:33 AM
use a rasor blade and warm soapy waterstart with one corner and just flow soapy water over the blade as yousxrape off from one corner down diagonally........

guaynabo89
11-13-2003, 10:11 PM
If you do that on your rear window it will kill the defrost lines, plus using razors leaves fine scratches inthe glass that are only visible when light shines through the glass.

Mike89Accordcom
11-13-2003, 11:56 PM
I had to once, I used a blade, and lots of rubbing alcohol. Takes a lot of time too.

badmanferg
11-14-2003, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by guaynabo89
plus using razors leaves fine scratches inthe glass that are only visible when light shines through the glass.

razor blades can't scratch glass.....

dna59
11-14-2003, 05:03 PM
i tried to do it myself, but i lack patience and the razor blade was killin' my hand. so i just took it to a tint shop and they took it off for 15 dollars.

mykwikcoupe
11-14-2003, 05:06 PM
when I was detailing we had a trick. We had acess to a steam clean (not an extractor). It was like a commercial steamer (you see smaller residential versions used for getting wrinkles out of siut and stuff on infomercials). Anyway you start with a terry cloth on the steamer head at a low steam output as not break the glass and slowly move the steam output up while moving it over the glass. Eventually (like 3-5 min) you can just peel the tint and most glue off just like that. Whatever glue residue is left over just use whatever method you prefer (razor, glue gone, alcohol). It worked great and quick compared to other methods. Safe for the rear defrost and all. Be sure to keep the door and whatever covered with a plastic bag or tarp or something. The hot water that drips from the terry cloth can cause color distortions in the door panel.

Wild LX-i
11-14-2003, 05:57 PM
For future reference...whatever you do with the razor, take it slow. One deep scratch will cause a chain reaction in your glass, cracking all over. Putting you 8 steps back, from where you wanted to go.

guaynabo89
11-14-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by badmanferg
razor blades can't scratch glass.....

Wrong....... THey do scratch glass. Its something that you cannot see unless the sun shines straight throught the glass. YOu'd be able to see it mostly when the sun is about to set or just after it has risen.

MrBen
11-14-2003, 09:12 PM
I don't know if badmanferg was being sarcastic or not, but he is wrong. Razor blades scratch glass, and if strong enough will score glass enough to make a clean break.

badmanferg
11-15-2003, 08:26 AM
no sarcasm, just truth....

http://www.stopscratchedglass.com/faq/

for those too lazy to read.....

Q. Do metal scrapers or razor blades scratch glass.
A. No. Metal scrapers and razor blades alone will not scratch glass. However, abrasive materials, such as sand or fabricating debris from the tempering process, trapped by a metal scraper or razor blade, can scratch glass.

guaynabo89
11-15-2003, 09:15 AM
no sarcasm, just truth....

http://www.stopscratchedglass.com/faq/

for those too lazy to read.....

Q. Do metal scrapers or razor blades scratch glass.
A. No. Metal scrapers and razor blades alone will not scratch glass. However, abrasive materials, such as sand or fabricating debris from the tempering process, trapped by a metal scraper or razor blade, can scratch glass.

Still Wrong.......:rolleyes:

Don't beleive everything you read. I know from experience not something I read off the internet from somone who just whant to sell you their product.

*EDIT* You do know thats a site for problems with homes not removing window tint.

badmanferg
11-15-2003, 01:54 PM
how you gonna tell me? the defrost lines are the only thing to worry about when using a razor,...glass is glass regardless of auto glass or kitchen glass....ex...when ppl who paint houses get paint on a window how do you think they get the paint off 95% of the time....with a window scraper or razor blade....so as for scratching the link up top is well enough of an explaination...its not the blade, its the dirt or other abrasive substance that scratches homie...an don't try to play me like im some simple ass who believes everything on the comp b/c this is experience talkin fam.....bless

guaynabo89
11-15-2003, 02:56 PM
how you gonna tell me? the defrost lines are the only thing to worry about when using a razor,...glass is glass regardless of auto glass or kitchen glass....ex...when ppl who paint houses get paint on a window how do you think they get the paint off 95% of the time....with a window scraper or razor blade....so as for scratching the link up top is well enough of an explaination...its not the blade, its the dirt or other abrasive substance that scratches homie...an don't try to play me like im some simple ass who believes everything on the comp b/c this is experience talkin fam.....bless

Dude your wrong!

Read my previous post. I talk from experience. It happened to me and it happened to other people I know.

zero.counter
11-15-2003, 03:39 PM
Check this link out for tint removal procedures. It backups some of the ways that these guys remove film but in a step by step procedure.
TINT DUDE (http://www.tintdude.com/remove.html)

As for blades scratching glass, unless your glass is made out of diamonds, then blades will scratch. My brother in law fucked my S14 up by using a blade to remove the for sale sign and nnot only took off the sign and some tint, but also scratched the glass or etched it and now it looks like ass.

Here is a test of trust, if you really believe that the blade won't scratch your glass, take a fresh blade out to your glass. When it dulls, it makes it even worse. There are small particles of dust and dirt which will leave tiny scratches resembling swirl marks on the glass only seen with glare.

guaynabo89
11-15-2003, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by zero.counter
will leave tiny scratches resembling swirl marks on the glass only seen with glare.

Exactly!

It doesn't take chunks out of your window. It leaves slight scratches in them that can only be seen in a certain light.

ANs as far as windoews being windows whether they be in a car or a home, Mycar doesn't have perfectly flat windows does yours?
That could be the main reason for the fine scratches.

mykwikcoupe
11-15-2003, 03:48 PM
ok heres another one of my secrets. With all the glass without the defroster, use "0000" steel wool . First spray a foaming glass cleaner on the glass so that as the dust/particles and whatever else doesnt get transfered back to the glass. Make sure to get the entire glass area. If yu miss a spot it will show as the steel wool takes all the debris off the glass. It works great for outside indows like the windshield.. It gets the wiper lines harder to see when wet out. It helps its not a perfect solution but it works great for me. Just me opinion. I also use razors on blades for removing stickers but finish with the steel wool trick.

Silver86LX
11-15-2003, 05:01 PM
When I repaced one of my doors this past summer, the door that I got from the wreckers had tinted a window. All I did was peel up one corner, and slowly pull it off from there. Once the tint was removed, it left the adhesive behind. To remove that I used a lot of nail polish remover on a rag or paper towel. It worked really well. You could never tell that there was even any tint on there.