PDA

View Full Version : fuck this

'A20A3'
11-13-2003, 10:42 AM
ok, i went out to start my car after it's been sitting for a little while, and it started, but there was a deafeneing screeching noise from the belts, and the battery light is on. i let the car run for like 15 seconds and i smell rubber burning and smoke came out from the grill. i checked the belts, all there, and nothing is caught in the belts.

what the fuck is going on with this?

any help is appreciated. thanks.

k-roy
11-13-2003, 10:52 AM
You might have a seized pully. It is probably the alternator or the water pump since they are on the same belt. It could also be the A/C or P/S. You should remove the belts and try to spin the pullys by hand.

'A20A3'
11-13-2003, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by kroy
You might have a seized pully. It is probably the alternator or the water pump since they are on the same belt. It could also be the A/C or P/S. You should remove the belts and try to spin the pullys by hand.

ok i'll try that.

POS carb
11-13-2003, 11:52 AM
I second that, it is one of those two items, or your belt is EXTREMELY loose.

before you start check the belt tension, you shouldn't be able to bend the belt by more than an inch or so, if you can, try tightening it up at the alternator bracket. if it still does it your water pump is probably siezed

BMS
11-13-2003, 12:18 PM
you say to take off the belts and try to spin em by hand...how easy is to just take off the belts and then put em back on? I imagine you need a belt tensioner or something

k-roy
11-13-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by BMS
you say to take off the belts and try to spin em by hand...how easy is to just take off the belts and then put em back on? I imagine you need a belt tensioner or something

Naah, just a 12mm wrench. As long as there is a less than an inch of play it should be fine.

3rd GEN
11-13-2003, 12:45 PM
it's most likely your altenator belt..mine squeels when it's cold too..

Bloodlust
11-13-2003, 12:58 PM
From what i heard I think its the alternator. And I should know because I have already gone through two of them.

'A20A3'
11-13-2003, 01:42 PM
i fiddled with the belts, all tight. i started it again and it did the wierd shit again, but after a few seconds it stopped screeching, and the battery light went off. the pulleys sound ike they're in need of some lubrication, so i used a little WD 40. i think it's probably because the car has been sitting for awhile. i drove it into town gingerly, and it runs fine. no overheating, all power accesories work, brakes are good, steering good too, and the oil pressure is good too.

wierd car...:confused:

DataVirtue
12-19-2003, 12:56 PM
I have the same prob (87 Carb) the OEM pump went out and I used a replacement from Parts Plus. It started screaching in a week (I had a mechanic do that) then I just replaced it myself. After about half hour of run time I shut it off and then started it up only to hear the horriblescreaching sound again. Oh yeah, this process completely eats your belts and will leave you stranded eventually.

I have no idea what to do about this, I have been searching this site for an answer. I think I going to go to a Honda Dealership to see what they think.

Any Ideas or other info would be greatly appreciated.

Sean

DataVirtue
12-19-2003, 12:58 PM
Oh yeah, I also replaced my alternator when I did the pump this last time around. I thought it was too unreliable due toi haviung rubber caked in the vent slots of the case.

Mystic1
12-19-2003, 02:15 PM
If your battery light came on then either your belt or the alternator is the problem

AccordEpicenter
12-19-2003, 06:34 PM
it doesnt have to be extremely loose for it to screech... just tighten a little

danronian
12-20-2003, 10:13 PM
Also make sure your belts arent overtightened. That can also cause problems.

ICEMAN707
12-27-2003, 01:07 AM
if the belts are tight, then i would say you have some grease on the belts or the pulleys. or the rubber is hardened. they are slipping one way or another. try using some STP belt dressing after washing the belts with Simple Green or any engine degreaser. also it might be time for a new alternator if it's original factory. cus be trying to seize up on you and locks up while the belts are spinning. not good.

HondaBoy
12-28-2003, 07:51 PM
that must have been you alternator pulley. since you said the battery light came on. you said you sprayed WD40 on it? i hope you didnt get any one the belt. when one of my friends did that, it made the belt slip and he had to get a new one cuz its was too slick.