PDA

View Full Version : need to kno where i can find the VECI for a bt engine!

newtuner
11-13-2003, 05:42 PM
need to kno where i can find the VECI for a bt engine! im trying to do the timeing but it dosent have the timing mark i need to kno!!

newtuner
11-13-2003, 05:53 PM
Can any one help?

Jareds 89 LX-i
11-13-2003, 05:54 PM
Well I don't have a sticker, but I can tell you it's 15 degrees (+/- 2 degrees) BTDC. The "+" mark is TDC, then there's 3 lines ("|||"). The center line is 15, and the other two lines are 2 degrees from that (13 and 17 degrees). Just line the pointer up with the middle mark

newtuner
11-13-2003, 05:59 PM
The "+" mark??? im sorry i dont know anything about this!

Jareds 89 LX-i
11-13-2003, 06:10 PM
All the marks are on the flywheel (manual trans) or flex plate (auto trans). You use a timing light with the inductive clamp hooked onto the #1 spark plug wire, aim it through the little hole in the tranny bellhousing, loosen the distributor bolts, and turn the distributor until the middle of the 3 marks lines up with the stationary pointer (you'll see it in the hole, kinda off to the right of the flywheel). Note that this must be done while in neutral (manual) or drive (auto), RPM's should be about 750-800, all electrical accessories (a/c, blower, headlights, etc) OFF. Once it lines up, tighten the distributor bolts without moving the distributor any. After tight, recheck to make sure the timing didn't move any from where you set it (which it sometimes does). If it's all good, take everything off cuz your all done. If it moved, just repeat what you just did above until it's right.

:)

newtuner
11-13-2003, 06:13 PM
well my car wont run do how do i adjust the timeing?? i think that might be one of the things keeping it from starting! because its geting a spark and fuel so it must be the timeing right??!!?!?!? well dunno thx for your help!

Jareds 89 LX-i
11-13-2003, 06:31 PM
The amount of adjustment you can make in the distributor isn't very much, and for sure would NOT be enough to cause your car not to run or start. If timing was causing that it would have to be because of a timing belt off several teeth (or completely, or stripped/broken). If it's getting spark and fuel, then theoretically it "should" start, but there's alot more to it then that, especially with EFI and computers and such. First thing I'd check and see if the timing belt is turning the cam. Take the valve cover off and use a big wrench to turn the engine by hand (it's a 21mm I believe, the bolt in the middle of the crank pulley, and turn COUNTER-CLOCKWISE ONLY!). Look and see if the cam sprocket turns when you turn the engine. If it doesn't and the timing belt is still attached and tight, then most likely your timing belt stripped teeth and isn't turning, or the timing belt is snapped. This would for sure cause it not to run, and you would have to replace the timing belt and hope no damage was done. If it does turn, use a flashlight or something so you can see down the timing hole in the bellhousing, and keep turning the engine until the "+" mark aligns with the pointer (this will take some time, as you just have to turn it a little, look, turn a little more, look.... you'll eventually see it, just go very slow cuz it'll spin around faster than you think). Once the "+" mark on the flywheel is aligned with the pointer, look at the inside of the cam sprocket. On the top part on one of the little arms just below the teeth, there should be an "UP" mark stamped onto the metal. This mark should be ever so slightly right of the center, and should align with the valve cover bolt studs that are sticking up out of the middle of the head. You have to look at it with your eye directly behind one of the studs looking straight at the cam sprocket, and it should align perfectly with the bolt studs. If it doesn't there's your problem!

newtuner
11-13-2003, 06:36 PM
i also heard that if your radio condenser or whatever it is that keeps noises from the engine from messing with your radio goes out your car might not start??!? can jumping the car kill something other than spark making components??

Jareds 89 LX-i
11-13-2003, 06:45 PM
I don't think that little condenser would actually cause the car not to run. I've never heard of any problems coming from jumping a car if you did it right. If they were on wrong or something it may have messed up the ECU, but other than that I can't think of anything. I really don't know what else to tell you to try and fix your car. It's hard to say without being able to try stuff myself and see exactly what it does.

newtuner
11-13-2003, 06:46 PM
when the ignition is on should the be a light or something on on the ecu?? is there any way to test my ecu??

Jareds 89 LX-i
11-13-2003, 06:57 PM
The light on the ECU will only flash if there is a code stored. If you have the key on and there's no light, then there's no codes (or the ECU is bad... don't know of a way to test that other than swapping a known good one). If it has a code, turn the key on (RUN position, but engine off), look under the back of the drivers seat, and they'll be a little tab on the cover over the ECU. Flip that tab down and if there's codes there will be a little red LED light flashing out the code. Just count the number of blinks. 1 digit codes will flash once then have a long pause. 2 digit codes will flash the first digit, then a short pause, then it will flash the 2nd digit, then a long pause between codes. Put the 2 digits together to make a 2 digit code (example... a code 1, short pause, code 4, long pause, would make a code 14).

I just thought of something, you said you had a BT engine, and your car is an '88, so obviously it isn't the original engine. Did this motor run in this car before, or was it an all of a sudden thing? Cuz if you didn't use the '86 ECU that would more than likely cause it not to start given there there were slight differences between the motors.

newtuner
11-13-2003, 07:59 PM
i got it with this engine in it and it ran then i tried to jump it when it dies and then it went all crazy like lights and noises then it just wont start it surges some times but never kicks over enough to start!

newtuner
11-13-2003, 08:03 PM
it also has been sitting for about a year and i think the gas might be bad is there any way to test it??

newtuner
11-13-2003, 08:54 PM
if you could help me id appreciate it!!

Jareds 89 LX-i
11-13-2003, 09:04 PM
No, not really any way to test it. If you can, it would be best to drain it of all the old stuff and refill with new gas, but that may not be possible. All you can really do is add new gas to the old. Either way it should still work regardless. It won't run real good with old gas, but it should at least start

newtuner
11-13-2003, 09:07 PM
could jumping the car fry the ecu??