PDA

View Full Version : Car wont start almost... ready to tow

Dave89LX
11-14-2003, 06:55 AM
My 89 Accord LX with 5 speed wont start. I have been having problem starting 4 months ago and could always get it started with starting fluid..now that does no good. Have checked out spark and replaced wires, cap,rotor. Checked coil and ignitor too OK. I suspect a bad vacuum leak or flooding. Need to know how to proceed. Have Haynes manual and pages from download on carb and and emission section. Planning to work on it all week end if needed. Some advice would be appreciated. Dave

Dave89LX
11-14-2003, 09:28 AM
The car is carbureted and has had recent problem of the idle climbing up to 3,000 or 4,000 before I shut the car off. I cleaned the carb and linkages and that problem went away. The car stumbles and caughs when first started for a few seconds too the last time it did start. Tonight I was going to look into the car while someone ties to start it. The accelerator pump does work.I checked that already. The car has 215,000 miles and has had nothing replaced carb related except fuel filters in past year. I think I will check to vacuum on all the pull off with a vacuum pump next to see if any of the diaphrams are bad. There does seem to be some wetness around the base of the carb..maybe the the seal between the carb insulator and the carb or intake manifold is leaking . Other than that I am kind of stumped and about ready to have a mechanic work on it. I have a loaner car for a couple of weeks so I have sme time to fiddle with it before sending it off to the mechanic. Any help or similar experience to solve a similar problem would be great help. Thanks Dave

shepherd79
11-14-2003, 09:51 AM
i think you just need to rebuild the carb.
you can get the rebuild kit from autozone or advance autoparts.