PDA

View Full Version : disposable subs

Vanilla Sky
06-25-2002, 03:53 PM
i have had the shittiest experience with radioshack subs... i have blown two(in succession) in my home theatre sub box...

the amp is a 100 watt, 6 ohm... the sub a 100 watt RMS, 200 peak 4 ohm... i turn the gain way the hell down, and tune the low-pass crossover to about 100hz, so i figure it's never getting the maximum 200 watts, and the cook in just a little while... i'm just warning you budget builders about these shitty subs (they look good on paper and in life, sound kickass, then BLOW...

Derick

POS carb
06-25-2002, 07:45 PM
what kind of box u got them in?

89AccordNate
06-26-2002, 10:17 AM
If your buying radio shack subs to begin with then he would be using a cardboard box I think... :p

Nate.

Vanilla Sky
06-26-2002, 03:47 PM
a ported box 2 cubic inches smaller than noted...
they were the only ones available at the time to me, so that was what i got... $60 piece of shit... at least they did replace it once

Yes nate, might as well have been in a cardboard box... that might be the problem... note to self, use cardboard next time

i had it in the box that the sub for out "bass module" for our home theatre came from... this time i'll probably snatch an old amp from church (370 watts, 4 ohms) and run that for the subs, because it looks like i'm gonna go for two this time

Derick

Lockey
06-26-2002, 09:03 PM
did it blow trying to do a low note?

and is it really stiff to push in..and makes a scratching sound?

for a start the box will make it efficent...so it will run of 20 watts rms kinda thing

and the amp is being driven harder then recommended(4 ohm load)...possibly clipping

but all in all it SHOULDN'T have blown at all..i've used thump subs etc and they have worked okay...ish ;)

do you know what kinda box the sub wanted and what size and port tuning?