PDA

View Full Version : Performance Intake Manifold

Techno
11-14-2003, 12:02 PM
Alright, for all of us here that want more out of the stock engine and have the carb'd engine, I believe that I have found the best deal for a custom intake manifold. It seems that everyone that wants to intall the Weber 32/36 carb on top of the stock manifold has to buy an adapter plate. That means more bolts and more things to work loose and the mere fact that you have to -adapt- the carb to fit. On top of that, since the weber carb needs less connections for vacuum lines, you are left with plugging or capping all the ports on the manifold. Removing the EGR valve and plugging the hole is next to unthinkable as well.
I just got off the phone with a machine shop that can weld up all the holes on the manifold, eliminating the need for plugging the vacuum ports and leaving the unsightly EGR in place.
If you have an old manifold that you can send to the machine shop, Garret Machine (http://www.garrettmachine.com) can weld on a custom cut billet alluminum Weber 32/36 adapter mouting plate, weld all the vacuum ports and EGR port that are not needed, and Port & Polish the manifold all for about $225--$250. Once he gets done the manifold will look like a professional racing manifold.
Mike there at Garrett Machine told me that once he has the Manifold in hand he could have all the work done, and back out the door on its way to you in one week. Garrett Machine is also willing to do custom piping for exhaust manifolds as well. Any work that needs to be done for your custom project. You can click the link above for their website or call them at 541-259-2514.

Hope this helps somebody else,
Techno

johndej
11-14-2003, 01:11 PM
damn, i bet that will come in hella handy for those peeps stuck w/ carbs.

A20A1
11-14-2003, 03:41 PM
I welded the ports but I did so by clamping the steel tube flat and laying down a bead over the gap.
I agree that welding the plates together will eliminate a lot of problems... maybe shave it down some so the adapter sits a bit lower, then with extra hood clearance we could add on longer studs for the carb and add a heat spacer to keep the heat from the intake manifold from soaking over to the carb.

BTW did you tell him the intake manifold was made from really crappy aluminum... recycled or something. I know Andy had trouble getting shops to weld his DCOE manifold to the stock flange.

I wonder if we could adapt a Pro-Jection kit to replace the 2bbl. It has adjustable mains, choke, idle, and high rpm. but it's $900 :(

Techno
11-15-2003, 12:00 AM
Bump, Bump

Techno

2old_honda
11-15-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by A20A1

I wonder if we could adapt a Pro-Jection kit to replace the 2bbl. It has adjustable mains, choke, idle, and high rpm. but it's $900 :(

If you are serious you should check out ebay. They go for pretty cheap all the time. Usually 300-500 range.

wprocomp
11-15-2003, 05:06 PM
I have a demon carb in my shop and have serouisly thinking about using it on my car...its a 750cfm street demon...but I have been thinking that its a little too much flow for the accord...

Techno
11-15-2003, 05:19 PM
750 CFM might be good if you had a built motor and were using a forced induction. I think the stock Carb is like 290 or something like it. 750 still might be high though...unless you re-jet it

Techno

2old_honda
11-15-2003, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by wprocomp
I have a demon carb in my shop and have serouisly thinking about using it on my car...its a 750cfm street demon...but I have been thinking that its a little too much flow for the accord...

thats waaay too much carb for the accord

A20A1
11-16-2003, 12:30 AM
Stick around 350 if you go too big the carb wont be responsive. Its not a problem of jetting really... but the carb needs vacuum to operate... and without the right amount of restriction at the venturies there will be no way to draw the fuel out of the carb.

Techno
11-18-2003, 05:08 PM
BUMP...

Techno

Justin86
11-18-2003, 07:24 PM
Yea tell him that the aluminum in real crap. To save money Honda went a little low grade on their aluminum which can make it a real pain in the ass to weld.

3G Jester
11-18-2003, 07:26 PM
can you modify the carb mounts onto a b series intake manni? better flow then the a20 intake manni

Justin86
11-18-2003, 07:50 PM
You would need to compare the two manifolds and see for you self. I would think that the b-series might be a little better but I would put money on it.