PDA

View Full Version : How can I tell?

Rendon LX-i
11-14-2003, 05:21 PM
Will here is the deal. Today i changed my vavle Cover Gasket. and changed my oil. i always keep my car up to date. will today i noticed white smoke i went to smell it and it smell like coolent. But when i changed my oil i didnt see nothing of water. I also did a flush in my motor. Can u guys tell me how i can find out if i have a blow Head Gasket. and if its really hard? Also how much for the Gasket? Sorry for all the questions. but i aint gonna runin my motor. later players.

Josh
:smokin:

BMS
11-14-2003, 05:41 PM
If your engine is "drinking" coolant than it has to be going somewhere, and it's probably the combustion chamber. Make sure that your coolant levels are good, and coolant doesn't magically disappear when it shouldn't

Rendon LX-i
11-14-2003, 05:49 PM
I checked it .maybe im just smelling things. its kinda cold out. maybe it could be humind and its conidision or something. idk. i just checked right now the radiator level and its full. i just filled the small tank like last week. so idk. when i changed the oil i didnt see any water spots at all my Teacher said my gasket not but. idk.

2old_honda
11-15-2003, 04:07 PM
you can have a blown head gasket and not get any coolant in the oil. first thing i would do is a compression test. if you dont have a compression tester you can do this test:
when the engine is cold, remove the radiator cap, start the car, then watch for bubbles. If you see bubbles then your h/g is bad.

section-8
11-15-2003, 07:29 PM
also make sure that it's not jsut steam...does it do that after warming up to operating temp? Does the smoke go away after a few feet? These are all things to consider.

Rendon LX-i
11-15-2003, 09:37 PM
I see steam A little by the Thermostat area. But there no leaks. I gotta check it tommorow again. When i first start it its clear out of the exhust then when its like 3 minuts start seening a little smoke WHITE. My friend said i might have a Cracked block because he saw oil on the block i told him that i just finishing changing my vavle cover gasket cuz it was leaking pretty bad. I also told him that it takes alot to crack a Cast Iron Block. SO i know its not that. Car still runs fine. but i want to get it fixed soon. How much would the head gasket be? help me out crew

Rendon LX-i
11-16-2003, 10:54 PM
Ok guys i guess u dont want to help me out.lol. Ight ok today i check again and i saw no bubbles but i saw smoke come out of the thermostate area and i flet the thermostat and its warm. My car doesnt over heat or nothing. I also have a lower thermostat. so its takes alot to get it hot. Will i check my block cleaned it and saw oil coming of the gasket. So i guess im gonna need to change it. SECTION-8 U asked of i see steam? i saw steam very light steam then goes away.only happens when its warmed up then goes away. will guys. sorry for this shit .but i need to know if anyone had this problem

Josh

MrBen
11-16-2003, 10:59 PM
I love your sig pics. Even though they are in violation of the rules. The second pic is great.

Rendon LX-i
11-17-2003, 01:02 PM
They in violaton of rules how?

BITESIZE
11-17-2003, 01:25 PM
Can't be more than passed the bottom of where it says how many posts you have done.

Vinny
11-17-2003, 01:49 PM
Here ya go, no help for the problem ya have but it is for the sig question

Revised Signature Rules *EVERYBODY READ!* (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21781&highlight=signature)

Mac
11-17-2003, 03:17 PM
Why do you think that the head gasket is blown? You're not losing any antifreeze, you're not overheating and the car is running fine. A little smoke out of the exhaust on cold days is kind of normal. As far as smelling antifreeze you mentioned that you saw some smoke by the thermosatat. There might be a small leak in that area and that is what you could be smelling.

Rendon LX-i
11-17-2003, 03:54 PM
Will I see a little oil leaking by the head. but i aint sure. i losing oil thats all i know. but lets see what i can find out. would oil still leak out of the gasket if there no cracks? u know would it leak oil but not anitfreez. Cuz I cleaned it and then I looked again then i see a line of oil sliding down from the gasket but idk. Gonna take it in this friday to the shop in school let them check it out. Then i will get back to ya guys. later

Mac
11-17-2003, 04:03 PM
Well I had an oil leak that looked like it was coming from the head gasket but it ended up being the distributor o-ring. Look at the base of the distributor by the valve cover. See if there is oil there too.

dysiu
11-17-2003, 07:34 PM
One time I had water accumulated in the gas tank and when parked downhill water moved towards the pump resulting in white smoke (steam) comming from the pipe just like blown head gasket... but it was water from the gas tank. I was pretty confused for some time and and ready to change my headgasket... But of course in such situation engine doesn't run perfect, especially when on idle. Don't want to confuse you because this case wasn't typical but if coolant level doesn't drop that may be the case.

danronian
11-17-2003, 09:49 PM
The only way to know if your head gasket is blown (which I am betting it is not) is to do a compression test or just try pumping air into the combustion chamber through the spark plug hole. If you hear bubbling and/or whitness bubbling in the radiator, the head gasket is blown, otherwise it is not.

Rendon LX-i
11-17-2003, 10:13 PM
ight i will do that. U guys are a big help. Im gonna take it in the shop. they have all the tools. Since i have have to do it unless i need help. i check the disturbuter. thanks guys. get back to ya

2old_honda
11-18-2003, 11:46 AM
you can get a compression tester for $20-30 at sears. Most auto parts stores have them also. They are really easy to use. Probably be cheaper to buy one and do it yourself rather than paying a shop.

Rendon LX-i
11-21-2003, 12:46 PM
K guys found out wat is the leak and i was all worryed about my engine. will i looked and i couldnt find it i cleaned all the area were the oil was leaking. i saw alot of oil built up under the disturbuter.and i ran down to the block and the back side to the exhust piping. So it was burning oil dipping. will im glad i found that shit. Thanks to u guys. i dont know what i would do with out the 3g site plus the crew. thanks guy. kinda chessy but u know its all good.

Josh

P.S making my Sig Pics smaller soon.lol

Khoal Dragon
11-22-2003, 02:43 PM
What's the about correct compression? On my car i had about 150/160 in each cylinder all pretty constant on the cranking test i didn't do a running test though