PDA

View Full Version : Lost My Job Today

it's paid for
11-14-2003, 05:54 PM
. . . they told me they were going to fire me if I didn't resign, so, of course, I resigned . . . please don't worry or be upset . . . this job was a very poor fit for my personality and I am not to be pitied . . . I'm actually quite relieved and I look forward to something better . . . that job was quite stressful and very difficult . . .

. . . as I told someone else, now I have time to devote to rebuilding Honda's (for profit) . . . if I only had the $ to invest in a decent shop . . . if I had $1000 I could buy a 600 and it has two engines and each is in decent shape . . . there are several 3G's in town for sale that are running and they're selling for anywhere between $150 and $1200 . . . most are pretty ragg'd out and have been abused (not maintained well & driven without care) . . . I think I can get them, fix them & sell them up north for a decent profit . . . (all are virtually rust free)

. . . it'd sure be fun doing that . . . if I could make $500 a week profit we'd have plenty to pay our bills (wife has a great job) . . . we'll see how things go . . . that seems quite doable . . . even if my hourly rate was only $42 per hour, I'd only have to "work" 12 hours a week . . . :super:

What should I call the shop? (I wanna work on all real Hondas - you know 3G's & older)

Thanks,

IPF

shepherd79
11-14-2003, 06:41 PM
sorry to hear about the job. i hope you find something better

johndej
11-14-2003, 06:56 PM
hmm......... if you know alot about cars (especialy hondas) then try applying for a job a a honda dealership.

it's paid for
11-15-2003, 03:36 AM
. . . if you know alot about cars (especialy hondas) . . .

. . . um . . . that's sort of a problem . . . I've done most of the basic stuff to cars - alternators, water pumps, tune ups, brake overhauls, fluid changes, et cetera, but I've never done major engine work . . . the engine rebuild in progress with my 2G is the first ever - on a car engine . . . I've rebuilt lawn mower engines, motorcycle engines & so forth . . . I really don't want to work for a dealership . . . with the exception for the last two months, I've owned my own business since 1989 and . . . understandably, I've become somewhat used to being "independent" . . . I'm struggling for some way to keep that independence while still being able to make a few bucks . . . I have a long term goal to have a real shop with hydraulic lifts for two cars and so forth . . . say, maybe five years down the road . . . I realize there will be a "learning curve" involved with the reality of having my own shop, but I really believe I can do it . . . the "mechanics" around here are generally . . . I hate to say it . . . but most of them are complete idiots . . . I think that trend is even more prevelant in rural areas (where I am now) . . . I know that comes across like I'm a snob - sorry, but it's my opinion . . . if you do your job well, you'll have plenty of work - that's my belief and my main hope for a successful venture . . .

. . . we'll see how it goes . . . I have an obligation to look for a "real job" and that will certainly be taking lots of time, however, in this very rural part of Georgia, there are zero jobs for people with my background and job skills . . . even if I make a 2 hour commute each day to Atlanta, if I got a job there, I'd have to eventually move & blah, blah, blah . . . so this afternoon, I'm going down into my "laboratory" (basement garage) and continue working on my "experiment" (2G Accord) and see if I can continue the "operation" (head removal) and get on with the completion of the engine rebuild . . .

. . . there are SO many Honda's out there that are in dire need of timing belt replacements, brake jobs, radiator flushings, oil changes, tune ups, clutch replacements . . . blah, blah, blah . . . I am confident if the word gets out about my services, and I make people happy, they will come . . .

. . . I just find it sad that so many people let their cars ruin because they've neglected simple, routine maintenance . . . maybe "The Honda Doctor" should be the name of my shop . . . I'm sure someone else has that name . . . I'll work on the name thing . . .

. . . my neighbor is a retired auto mechanic . . . he said he's thinking about going back into business (he's only 44 - where he gets his $ I'll never know - don't wanna know) . . . perhaps this could be a joint venture with him . . . I'm sure he'll offer advice if . . . er, I mean when I'll need it . . .

. . . how many of you think this is crazy? If you were in my position, would you consider doing it?

Happy Honda-ing,

IPF

Elijah
11-15-2003, 04:08 AM
sorry to hear

Bloodlust
11-15-2003, 06:39 AM
Why did you resign? If they fired you then you could have collected unemployment... :D

k-roy
11-15-2003, 06:44 AM
Damnit Bloodlust, you beat me too it.

A Honda shop is a good idea. Imo you should do more jap cars like Nissan and Toyota. The are just about as easy as a Honda to work on.

it's paid for
11-15-2003, 12:18 PM
. . . If they fired you then you could have collected unemployment... Yeah, I guess, but I don't believe in it . . . I mean for months I've qualified for food stamps . . . it's not that I'm too proud, it's just that . . . to me, it doesn't seem right . . . I fully realize many people need them and are worthy of having food stamps & unemployment & so forth . . . I also believe maybe 90% or more of these payouts are unecessary . . . perhaps I'm wrong . . . I have total respect for people who receive help from the government who truly deserve it . . . who are willing & able to work hard but - for whatever reason - can't . . . I'm not ashamed of taking assistance . . . I did take food stamps for about two months when I was a student in college over 20 years ago . . . the taxes I've paid back since then are enough to make me not feel guilty - besides, I qualified for them (without lying, of course) . . . I don't think anyone like me should take unemployment if they're able to get work . . . somehow, I'm going to keep trying to get work . . .

. . . Imo you should do more jap cars like Nissan and Toyota. . . . Yeah, I've had a couple of Toyotas and I've had several VW's - air & water cooled . . . no doubt that's a great idea . . . can you imagine how much more income potential that involves . . . and when starting out, it just makes sense not to place limits on your potential customer base . . . that'd be a great problem to have: "Sorry lady, we only take Honda's here" . . . wow, that'd be nice . . .

89AccordLX2dr
11-15-2003, 12:43 PM
Hi 'it's paid for', I too have had the thought of owning and running my own shop, but not limited to Honda's. I grew up as a Mercury Capri and Mustang guy, V8's were the only thing that interested me, and I learnt the trade of mechanics from my father who had a great wealth of knowledge on the field, generally older vehicles, 60's, aswell as trial and error. Now at the age of 24, I can safely say I can repair any make of vehicle. Buying, repairing and reselling vehicles has interested me, and the potential of good income is there.
From what I understand from reading your post, your interest is mainly repairing Honda's. I ask why not broaden your area or repair. I'm sure the guy down the road with the Topaz or Sundance could use a new belt, oil change...etc. But if you're devoted to 3g Honda's, then go for it, worth a shot!
After reading your posts, it has resparked an interest for myself to start up my own shop. It is a good business, vehicles will always be in need of repair and maintenance, so the demand is there, and so is the reward. Start small, work your way up, get some good equipment, diagnostic computers for the newer vehicles, and get a good reputation in the auto repair area. Good luck!

A Dawg Jr
11-15-2003, 01:11 PM
I wish you luck 'It's paid for', I think honestly think you'll need it. It's tough to start up ANY business. It's good to have goals and dreams, but be reasonable in you thinking. I don't know how much experience you have in auto repair, but if you think you can reasonable complete the tasks brought to you, go for it. If not, just get a decent steady job.. Good luck man

Silver86LX
11-15-2003, 01:11 PM
I'd say go for the whole shop idea. There will always be a demand for people able to fix cars. Starting off may be a bit slow, but like you said before, if you do a good job, then there will be more work for you to do. And most important of all, it'll be something that you enjoy doing.

it's paid for
11-15-2003, 05:29 PM
. . . these are very encouraging remarks - thanks very much!

. . . my wife is okay with the idea . . . but she's only barely optimistic it'll work . . . everyone else thinks I'm crazy . . . hey, I realize it won't be easy and every job has its share of problems, but this thing kind of suits my personality . . . the sacariest part is thinking I'll mess up something and someone will try to sue me . . . or they'll try to sue me even if I don't . . .

. . . one of the benefits would definitely be fixing my mother-in-law's van . . . I can see it now: "Oops . . . you mean the bolt holding on the brake caliper was nearly sawed through with a hacksaw? . . . gee, I can't imagine how that could've happened . . . defective OEM Ford parts, I guess" . . . :smokin:

. . . I've gotta do some research . . . pricing, advertising, more tools, blah, blah, blah . . . I'll have to get into the boxes stored away in the basement and dig out my "shop tunes" CD's . . . you know, the usual AC/DC, Van Halen, ZZ Top, et cetera . . . I could work in 110 degree heat shovelling elephant dung as long as I had my tunes dude . . . :super:

. . . is this rational behaviour for a 45 year old college graduate who used to rake in over $100K/year teaching people how to use software?

. . . money is SO overrated . . . :rolleyes:

Silver86LX
11-15-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by it's paid for
. . . money is SO overrated . . . :rolleyes:

I couldn't agree more. As long as you enjoy what you are doing, that's all that should matter. But in the world today it seems as though all that matters is money. It's sad but it's true.

A Dawg Jr
11-15-2003, 05:43 PM
It's paid for, I love how your sig changes so abruptly, it's pretty funny... from running through the daisys to unloading five rounds into an escalade..haha

DeathRat
11-15-2003, 10:07 PM
Go for your DREAMS! I did & I've not regretted it yet!:tongue: I am my own boss of sorts right now too. I started up my own Intenet Performance Parts Store for GM J's, N's, H's & F's bodies. I figured it was the FIRST step in getting my store (Actual building).:cool:

A20A1
11-16-2003, 01:26 AM
I keep dreaming about the day I'll get a garage with two hydraulic lifts... sigh.

Vrooom Vrooom :D