PDA

View Full Version : Help please

87accordlxph
06-25-2002, 05:08 PM
Guys,

I have a "bottoming out" problem.

I have P195 60 R15 tires on my rims and it seems that I can't
take passengers in my ride because the rear sidewalls rub up against the rear fenderwells. (make me mad!)

I got my struts replaced bout a year and a half ago and they seem pretty good still, bounce 1.25 times but still pretty good.
Maybe it's my springs?
How do I test those?

I read the thread on the 40mm offset, does that mean sidewall
height? I'm stupid when it comes to suspension.

What can I do to correct this w/o having to buy new 40mm sidewall tires or the offset thing? Would those spacers in the springs to stiffen the ride help or just say F it and replace these "good" tires w/ 40mm sidewalls or is it the rim?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

BTW, if I do buy 40mm sidewall tires, how low can I go to lowering? What about those damn control arms-would they get in the way?

Need someone or ppl with all the experience to help me out w/ this one!!

THANKS A LOT IN ADVANCE!!!!

-Mike

Jims 86LXI HB
06-25-2002, 07:21 PM
I kinda doubt your springs have anything to do with this. Your running aftermarket alloys and it sounds to me like they are 35mm off set or close to that. And your running tires that are taller than stock. The cheapest fix is to put on shorter tires. 195/50-15 should work. But your speedo will be off and you won't be able to use 205/50-15's cause those are taller than the 195's.

Offset is all in the rim itself and has nothing to do with the tire.

Don't do spring spacers, I doubt they will work and your only masking the problem.

The shorter sidewalls should work, if not your looking at some new rims to fix the problem.

A cheap way to test the shorter tires would be to buy a pair at a used tire shop and have them mounted onto the rear rims.

When a wheel/tire setup doesn't rub on a UNLOWERED car, they won't rub on it when it does get lowered . The key is because you've allready loaded the car up and have made the suspension compress quite a bit.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

Dutchboy
06-26-2002, 03:34 PM
Check the balljoints that are up at the top of the tire welll....my car used to do the same thing...i also run the same tire size...they dont hit anymore....well at least not yet....
I had to replace them that is if you didnt get it yet..well they were just new when i got the car....the previous owner had that probelm....
give it a try see what happens....hope you figure it out
Ben