PDA

View Full Version : turbocharger

Chadroper
11-15-2003, 04:32 PM
Would a turbocharger work if we took the stock exhaust manifold and cut it off and built something where the turbocharger would sit between the exhaust pipe and the cylinder head like about 2" above the point where the manifold bolts to the pipe? Since a B16 head will fit with some machine work how much does one cost. If it only last 25k miles it might work.

shepherd79
11-15-2003, 06:53 PM
if i was you, i would forget about all your ideas turbocharging and B16 head right now because your car is carbed. you need to think how you will convert to EFI first. you can't do anything with carbed motor.

mykwikcoupe
11-15-2003, 10:23 PM
I dont know about that remark shepard. When I was first here I got a b20a for the wifeys 89 LX with the intent to do an EFI swap. After purchasing the B20a and most of the turbo gear I realized that I wanted to start with an efi so I bought another 88 LXI. You should just let him know that he needs to do an EFI swap before anything else and look into that first.

Not trying to make you mad or anything shepard (this isnt worth banning is it). Just putting in my 2 cents. Mike

shepherd79
11-16-2003, 04:46 AM
yeah i got carried away. it is juts people who don't read piss me off.
anyway, he can't do anything with the car he has right now unless he wants to go ALL NA motor.

Chadroper
11-16-2003, 09:10 AM
It cant be very hard to switch it to EFI. How much power could you get na if you could move the peak torque to around 7.5k rpm.

Chadroper
11-16-2003, 09:28 AM
I did some research. Im just going to buy a complete A20A3 with all the manifolds, injectors etc and then rebuild it.

mykwikcoupe
11-16-2003, 10:15 AM
oh and shep thanks for the JDM tails. Its cool about the comment and I totally feel where your comming from. Ive read the b20a search info 3+ times.

shepherd79
11-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Chadroper
I did some research. Im just going to buy a complete A20A3 with all the manifolds, injectors etc and then rebuild it.
i think you are forgettting something.
here is the list of what you may want to pick up with the engine.
EFi engine harness,
EFi cabin harness.
EFI fuel tank,
EFI fuel pump.
EFI return fuel line.
and much much more. here is the link with more details about conversion. http://www.geocities.com/carotman/howto/eficonv/EFIconversion.htm

be prepared to spend some mad time working on your car.

BMS
11-16-2003, 03:02 PM
It's still not a 'drop-in' project like shepherd is tryin to say

Justin86
11-18-2003, 12:05 PM
I plan on having your car down for a week, unless you know everything that needs to be done, have somebody to help you, and work 24/7 on it. I took my time and learned as I went and it took about 10 days mostly cause I need some parts that took a few days to arive.

NXRacer
11-18-2003, 12:11 PM
if turbo is the option, you won't need to convert to EFI if you use seans ECM.........right?

PogiLXI
11-18-2003, 06:47 PM
You can Turbo a Carb. need to do alot of piping, and need to run hella Rich. Theres a Twin Turbo chevelle running Dual Deamon Carbs. that things' a BEAST! its somewhere on the net.