PDA

View Full Version : Off-Center steering wheel

Sabz5150
11-15-2003, 05:19 PM
A long time ago in a galaxy not too far from here... I got hit by this old lady in a Neon. She hit my wheel directly at about 20MPH. Did some harsh damage to my driver's side suspension and screwed my alignment. I've fixed all the damage to the suspension, but the steering is still off. I got it aligned, but the steering wheel is slightly turned to the left. Works great though. However when I go to get my car inspected, they tell me that the wheel is off center because the inner tie rod on the driver's side is bent, and they flunk me outright.

I broke down and bought a new tie rod and all the goodies to go with it, and so I set out to repair it. Finally get the whole goddamn thing apart and there's not a bit of damage to be seen to the rack. So the only thing left that I can think of is that the rack was turned by the force, but not the steering wheel.

How do I re-center the wheel and make the inspectors happy?

shepherd79
11-15-2003, 06:56 PM
you can remove the steering wheel and adjust it.
it is only 19mm nut in the senter.

BITESIZE
11-15-2003, 06:57 PM
Yep, it's really easy and only takes 2 minutes

chriskatana
11-15-2003, 08:15 PM
take it back to the alignment shop and tell them to re align and make the steering wheel straight

mykwikcoupe
11-15-2003, 10:26 PM
First send the bill to the check center for all parts and labor and report him to the ASE board. It is after all his fault you had to spend all the cash. Then go to the alignment shop and have then fix it right like they should have from the start.

I doubt there is an ASE board but there has to be something. Hey for you, Ill pay the taxes to have the federal funded shop eat your costs. It could be worse, it could have gone to welfare.

Justin86
11-17-2003, 02:13 PM
First tell the inspectors to suck a big fat one! Well your steering wheel isn't perfectly alinged the correct way so you will not pass. That is like saying that the dent in your hood will not make you pass.