PDA

View Full Version : 87 prelude motor help

upersleder
06-25-2002, 05:47 PM
as you guys may know i race an 88 LXI, my friend has an 87 prelude, he dont get the RPM i do out of mine, he says when he tries running in second like i do his oil light and some other lights come on and the motor dont pull nearly as much as mine does. he's wondering what he can do to make his car keep up with mine. any thoughts?

hondaman87
06-25-2002, 05:51 PM
complete tune-up

PhydeauX
06-25-2002, 08:49 PM
Sounds like there is something wrong thats going to take more then a tune up to fix. That is assuming that he wasn't just low on oil and it started to flow away from the pickup when he got on it. The oil pressure should be going up as the motor revs, not down. Pray its not the pump, they are a pain to change, but that would be one of my first guesses. As for the other lights knowing what they were would probalby give a little more insight. I'll place money that one of them is the pgm-fi light though. Pull the codes on it and see what it tells you. A good tune up will never hurt, but there are other things that need to be addressed first. The prelude shoud be slightly faster then the accord unless you are going for top speed then the accord will over take it eventually.

andy

upersleder
06-26-2002, 05:28 AM
i would say its not the pump, its been racing four weeks now and it would have blown by now if he starved the bearings. even for a small amount of time. how about the cam timing?

PhydeauX
06-26-2002, 07:45 AM
That would cause some bad performance, but its not common for the cam timing to go out without something being wrong with the belt (or if the belt was changed and the timing wasnt set right). Takeing a look wont hurt, its not that hard to check.

andy