PDA

View Full Version : System Help

James
11-16-2003, 03:19 PM
Alright, so I don't know that much about how to set up a good system and I have a few questions.. I have a Sony CDX-MP40 deck, and a sony 600w 4channel amp (150w x 4, 60 RMS x 4). Now the deck has a front and rear preout.. So how I would I wire up the amp. Would I just use the Front preout for that amp and the rear for another amp for say, a sub? Or does the deck have to have a specific preout for a sub? How does that work? If that is the case (front for first amp) then I would guess I would just loose fade which I don't care about anyway. Well hopefully you guys can help me out..

zero.counter
11-16-2003, 03:30 PM
The deck does not have a specific out for the sub, as a crossover would fix that. If your amp has a built in crossover, then use it. Also, how many inputs does your amp have?

If the amp only has one set of inputs, then use the front preouts for the amp and the rear for a future sub.

dXsquared
11-16-2003, 03:34 PM
i think your amp has 2 sets of inputs.. one set for the front 2 channels and one set for the rear channels...

i would hook up 2 front speakers to the front channel and bridge the back two for a single 12 inch sub... systems sound better with only front speakers anyway

Travis

PS.. if you need more info on this, PM me

zero.counter
11-16-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
systems sound better with only front speakers anyway

Strictly opinion. You could fill the rear with coaxials for an ambient soundstage, or just some mid-bass drivers for an all around structural sound. Unless you will be the only one ever driving your car that is.

James
11-16-2003, 04:48 PM
Alrigh, I have the Sony Xm-460GT. It has 2 inputs (front/rear) and has 2 built in crossovers (front/rear). I would hook both preouts into the amp, and then use a crossover to another amp for the sub? So I could have a sub in that system. I would rather have 4 speakers than a sub at all.

Thanks

kicker1_solo
11-16-2003, 05:03 PM
If it's a 4 channel amp then you should have 4 inputs. If you have 4 inputs then you should have 2 front, 2 rear, hook those up the the same ones on the deck.

dXsquared
11-16-2003, 05:15 PM
there should be a seperate output on the amp.. use that to run to a sub crossover and then to an amp for the sub...

Travis

James
11-16-2003, 07:47 PM
Alright, well I really appreciate it thanks for your time.

Justin86
11-17-2003, 05:39 PM
I know that all of this stuff can be confusing. Do a lot of reading, here is a good thread http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19559

catalin
11-17-2003, 06:41 PM
You guys tottaly confused him by even mentioning the x-over. The best sound (in my best opinion) that you can attain from your existing system is by connecting your external (Sony XM-460GT)amplifier to all the speakers.

The reason why this would sound better is because if the amps gains are set up properly then you won't be distorting any of the speakers, which would damage them and also ruin the sound quality.
If you run a pair of speakers of the external amp and a pair of the head unit, what will happen is that the ones running of the head unit will distort before you get some good volume on the ones running of the external amp. Or better yet, you'd end up damaging the distorting speakers mainly because you won't hear the distortion over the volume of the other speakers.

Just my opinion.. :sadwave: