PDA

View Full Version : Engine heaters

Imran
11-16-2003, 07:07 PM
Does anyone use engine heaters to keep their engines warm during the cold nights???

It is a good idea to put one in since i have this (http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26395) problem in the mornings????

an updat on the problem.....it now does the same thing within 2 hours of parking after i warm it.. :crying: .. pisses me off !!!

And will putting an engine heater get rid of this problem???

Would cleaning the carb help the problem??

I use the 87 octane gas..a mechanic told me to put the 93 to clean the card do you think it will help...???

thanx a lot for solving these problems for me...

Imran :)

k-roy
11-16-2003, 07:11 PM
I think you may be jumping the gun by buying an engine heater.
I say use a lot of carb cleaner and get it all shiny inside and out. Do a full tuneup. Adjust the carb (check the howto section) and fix the or replace the choke. You may also have a vacuum leak somewhere.

A20A1
11-16-2003, 08:39 PM
93 will not clean the carb. Change the fuel filters won't clean the carb either... it will just keep it from getting more dirty.. if the carb has gunk in it you need to open up the top and whipe out the gunk with a shop towel.. then spray the barrels with carb cleaner.

How cold is it?

Are you sure your coolant level is good and free of air pockets? also do you run the heater when warming up the car? The heater uses the heater core.. and if you have the valve open some of the coolant is diverted to the core maybe causing it to take longer to heat up.

I don't think you need and engine heater.... do you have the carb lid flipped?

Imran
11-19-2003, 10:33 PM
Thanx you guys for your help.. I did get the carb cleaner and sprayed some in the carb itself.. i don't know if i did it right or not.. i don't know anything past removing the air filter..:confused:

is there a how to on cleaning the carbs.

it was below 30 about a week ago when i these problems were at their peak. these days its around 45 so it is ok..

I do keep the heater on when warming the car i will stop doing that. the coolant level is good i keep cheking it once in a while.

I'll clean the carb as soon as i find a hot to on it and then will update you on the situation...

thanx alot
Imran