PDA

View Full Version : Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement

ELM'sLX+CHL'sDX
11-16-2003, 07:26 PM
Hi Guys:

Looks like the problems are starting to poor in on my poor 3G. I think I have a leak at the intake manifold. I spray carb fluid at the gasket and the idle immediately smoothes out. Are there any short cuts to replacing this gasket?

Is it possible to slightly move back the intake manifold and then slap on a new gasket? Is this gasket made of the same stuff as the carburetor base gasket that is literally glued to the manifold? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Claude

A20A1
11-16-2003, 08:30 PM
the big issue is getting off the AS and EGR pipes as well as removing the lower inner most bolts. and that usally requires you to remove the carb or at least the vacuum hard lines next to the carb. To get the pipes off easier I usually remove the dog-bone brace behind the motor that goes to the fire wall and I also remove the bracket on the motor that holds the brace.

POS carb
11-17-2003, 10:51 AM
yea, your biggest challange will be those stupid pipes, once they are out you can push the manifold back enough to swap the gasket. Also you may just want to remove the whole thing b/c I can almost guarantee you will be scraping old gasket off the head ports

dysiu
11-17-2003, 07:15 PM
This job wasn't fun at all. I think an official method recommends removing the head together with the intake...
I ended up removing and tossing all the emissions junk like EGR systems and 90% of vacuum lines. Even with intake clean from all this and with carburator off it wasn't easy to get to two of 4 bottom bolts. It's possible though with some patience and several socket extensions and flexible joints.

Even with emissions and the carb on it can still be possible to get to those bottom bolts with some smart extensions... good luck.

Neuspeed87lx
11-17-2003, 07:51 PM
it shows how much of a pain these cars can be to work on at times.... i did the intake manifold gaskets on an explorer today at work and it took no longer than 20 min