PDA

View Full Version : What To Do For Higher Watt Bulb?!?!

HondaBoy
11-16-2003, 09:28 PM
ok, as some of you may already know, i got some new driving lights. i needed a quicker answer so heres the question. first off, they came with 55watt bulbs and i wanted to go 100watt for more brightness. it kept poping the 15 amp fuse and also the 30 amp fuse i put in. as of now, it has not relay thing on it. someone told me it would probley need it to work. does it? they have the 12 volt 30 amp relay at all the parts stores, so no problem getting it. also, the guy told me to go with bigger wires. do any of y'all know about going from lower to higher wattage? personally im not a electronic guy. im good with engines and mechanics, but not on the technical electric stuff. so, are both the things i said, (bigger wires and a 30 amp relay), exactly it? and do i need bigger wires. they are average gauge, about like most of the tail and parking lights wiring.

MrBen
11-16-2003, 10:37 PM
Quite personally, if you wanted higher wattage, why didn't you just get the higher wattage light set from the store?

cruznz
11-17-2003, 02:50 AM
current draw is to high ,which is why the fuse keeps blowing,and why you need a higher gauge wire for the feed to the bulbs

relays will protect the switch from burning out

shepherd79
11-17-2003, 04:16 AM
plus if you have higher wattage bulbs, it will pull a lot more alt. from the alt. so you may want to think upgrading the alternator.

HondaBoy
11-17-2003, 08:43 PM
im only going to 100 watt. and they didnt have any higher wattage than 55 except in the big ass spot lights. i guess i can ask my friend who has high watt lights on his truck. he never has problems with them. he has like 10 or more lights hooked up for off roading. i dont know about the alternator though. it keeps my battery charged realy well. same battery ive had for over 4 years. they should last that long anyway. and im only doing 2 lights, not 6 like on a rally car.

HondaBoy
11-18-2003, 07:21 PM
so.............. nobody else knows about lighting or wut? seems i cant find my friend with that truck! i think he's sick this week. anyway, y'all with fog lights should know this stuff. help me out!

Justin86
11-18-2003, 07:47 PM
You will want to get some realys and higher gauge wiring, also there is something new, instead of a typical fuse they are puttin breaker switches like the ones on your house. So when the circuit get overloaded it flips and turns off, then just flip it again to turn on. Look a car audio shops for them.

cruznz
11-18-2003, 11:38 PM
you'll need 2 relays,...1 per light.......14g wiring for feed to relays and lights....use original light wiring for switching contacts of relays.....and a couple of inline fuses for protection

X-Lr8
11-19-2003, 01:11 PM
http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/relays/relays.html

That is a great site with lots of info about lighting and such.. i used his way of doing my 80/100 H4's and they work beautifully. its the same as everyone else is saying use relays with fuses 12-14 gauge wire from the relay to the lights and use the original headlight wires to trigger the relays. but this guy breaks it down as to why to use this method and why you should use certian types of wires etc. also he has simple wireing diagrams if you still need more help..