PDA

View Full Version : Broken Timing Belt...

damnthesenames
11-17-2003, 12:37 AM
As you can see, this is my first post, I would just like some advice from everyone... There's an 89 LX-i 5 Spd locally that has broke a timing belt. I can get it for 800.00, my question is... worth it? I know I could be dealing with some bent valves and what-not... what do the prices range for this type of stuff? I just rebuilt my 89 Toyota Supra engine, so I will be doing all the work myself, however I've never worked on an Accord before... How hard would it be to pull the head off if indeed the valves are bent? Does anyone have pictures of a head removal I could take a look at?

Thanks for the help...

_ Justin

BMS
11-17-2003, 01:08 AM
Use the search/how to sections. They are wonderful.

damnthesenames
11-17-2003, 01:10 AM
First thing I did... I found the Service Manual online, however what I am asking for more so than directions is personal experiences.... What are the kinks that I'm not going to find in the manual? or is it as simple as the manual makes it out to be?

BMS
11-17-2003, 01:28 AM
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26194&highlight=torque+wrench

rdn
11-18-2003, 03:59 AM
you may want to check first if the valves are ok..(interference engine)....otherwise it could be an expensive story. (i had to change the whole head because of that)

dysiu
11-18-2003, 01:29 PM
When my belt snapped I just put a new on and had no problems. Opinions differ but from what I see in 75% cases there is no bent valves or such. You may consider getting a belt ($25) and putting it on the spot. This should be like 2 hour job since you have some skills and expirience. Get the manual first.

NXRacer
11-18-2003, 03:07 PM
the a20ax motor is NOT an interferance engine. You can replace the timing belt no problem. just make sure you line up the timing marks correctly.