PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Prob.

mag_pbg
11-17-2003, 05:10 AM
I deleted my old post, but what happend was my car wouldn't start, so I put in a new starter, and it still didn't work so we went to get something to tow it with and when we got back it started up. I drove it home and let it set for a couple of hours, and when I went to start it again it started only when I turned on the lights both inside and out were very dim, and then temp. guage was jumping as I turned the lights on and off. Later that stopped, only when ever I put on the brake the car would die and if I put on the turn signal the lights would blink with the turn signal. I tested the battery which said 14 volts, and the alternator is 11 months and 2 weeks. I cleaned the terminals that connect to the battery itself. Could it possibly be a short somewhere, or is there a bigger prob.

mag_pbg
11-17-2003, 06:29 AM
I see everybody else is stumped, but i think I figured out the prob. Im pretty sure that there is a short somwhere behind the dash becuase I can turn the car on without the key being in the ignition all I have to do s connect the battery terminals, and there is a burning smell inside the car now.

mag_pbg
11-17-2003, 07:35 AM
OK so I guess I will just have to get a new car.

mag_pbg
11-17-2003, 08:37 AM
ANY SUGESTIONS ARE WELCOME! I HAVE A SHORT SOMEWHERE IN THE WIRING HARNESS BY THE FUSE BOX UNDER THE DASH, WHEN EVER I CONNECT THE BATTERY THE LIGHTS AND EVERYTHING TURN ON, BUT WHEN I TURN THE IGNITION IT WON'T TURN ON.

Mac
11-17-2003, 03:06 PM
Have you done any work in that area lately? Did you change the ignition switch or the combination switch?

This is a shot in the dark. Look right above the fuse box. You will see some connectors. This is where the ignition and combination switchs hook up. The two connectors look like they are almost the same. Make sure that they are hooked up correctly.

mag_pbg
11-18-2003, 12:56 PM
Im almost certian that there is a short in the ignition, there is small amounts of smoke coming from behind the dash, and it won't even start, but if you coneect the battery all the lights come on the dash. Also when we checked the voltage the whole frame around the motor is grounded is running 12 volts through it.

mag_pbg
11-18-2003, 02:13 PM
Allright I just got home from school, and I went out and started looking at the car, and whats going on is, when I hook up the battery The Idle Control Solenoid Valve starts clicking and the Battery and Oil light comes on. I noticed while checking voltage on the dash the chip board above the gauges will make the battery light turn off if I cross two of the chip points. Im thinking it has to do with the ignition, that would explain why the car has been having trouble starting, wouldn't start and the lights coming on without the key, I think it must have a short somewhere with a hot wire which would explain why my battery went dead.

Mac
11-18-2003, 05:26 PM
Check the connections on the starter. Make sure that the white wire is tight and that it isn't shorting out against the starter. Also check the black/white wire is connected properly. Is the boot on the white wire? Make sure that nothing is touching either wire.

mag_pbg
11-18-2003, 09:31 PM
Thanx again Mac, it is to dark to mess with it tonight but I will check it tomorow and get back to you.

mag_pbg
11-20-2003, 11:07 AM
Thanx for all your help but it turns out the prob. was the ground cable from the frame of the car to the valve cover.

Mac
11-20-2003, 04:53 PM
Good find and thanks for posting the fix. All them problems from the ground cable. The car is now starting and the lights are all fine and no more stalling with the brakes? And it's running good? Well I guess fixing that ground was better than getting a new car.

mag_pbg
11-21-2003, 12:24 PM
Ya we replaced the ground wire, and everything instently was fixed, no stalling all the lights work all that work for something that simple lol. The reason the Throttle cable got fried was becuase I guess the current needed somewhere to go and the throttle cable was the only place it could go.