PDA

View Full Version : what do you think of 89 preludes?

Jerren
06-25-2002, 06:16 PM
i found one for sale. its an 89 prelude SI. 5 speed, red. what kinda hp do those things have? are they good cars and are mods available for those?

Defiant[YD]
06-25-2002, 07:24 PM
well, it should have around 150hp. not too sure but i say that cuz the 1990 2.0Si models are around there.

pretty decent car. the front seats are comfortable. but the only thing that u might not like is the design of the back lights. i'd prefer a 1991 model for the clear signal rear lights.

as for mods, the engine performance aspect is no big deal. can get those at lots of places. put a fireball muffler in there and it'll go loud.

overall, nice car to drive and mod.

89AccordNate
06-25-2002, 08:15 PM
mods are available for them. Tom coleman from ludespeed.com makes a turbo kit for them...you can drop an h22a into them....and theres other mods. But away from that, I think there like the 3gs when it comes to crazy mods like they make for civics.

Parts are MORE available, but nothing like civics of course. No tails are available from the aftermarket from what i have seen.

Nate.

Mike89Accordcom
06-25-2002, 10:26 PM
I personally really like them. They do make a lot for them. Many of my friends from highschool had those and modified them to look pretty nice. Another big reason I like them, is because they look just like 3rd gen accords. Yeah the turbo they make too, nice website for that, I use to go on that all the time. I'd get it Jerren.

Jims 86LXI HB
06-25-2002, 11:40 PM
First thing that pops up in my mind is how much? That generation of prelude is overshadowed by the generation that followed. Which is the only generation of prelude I'd even think about. I doubt that a 89 prelude has much more parts avaible for it then our cars do. My thought's do wander towards the civic, but 92+ or the 90+integra.

Jareds 89 LX-i
06-26-2002, 12:09 AM
I like the 3rd gen Ludes. When my sister was car shopping a few months back, we drove a '91 Prelude (Si?? I don't remember. But it was DOHC -- B20 I would assume) with manual trans, and it was a real nice little car. Very comfy, low to the ground, and very stable at higher speeds. I like the ones with the red/clears over the red/orange tails. Not much back seat room though, incase you're looking at hauling friends around or anything. Compared to the Accord, it was MUCH smaller.

guaynabo89
06-26-2002, 05:46 AM
I like them. They do have a couple of people who make turbo kits for them so thats a plus.

As far as aftermarket they have more parts available but not much more than the 3rd gen accord.

YK86
06-26-2002, 09:58 AM
They're nice appearance wise. My friend had some problems though (seems like 3rd gen's weren't all that great in terms of reliability). And I know the 4WS is expensive to fix when it needs repairs.

ACCORD EX
06-26-2002, 11:47 AM
i love the 3 rd gen ludes ! :D

MIKE

Jerren
06-26-2002, 01:08 PM
the one i saw is going for $2400. i'm not really sure of the milage. when i peaked in the window it looked like 85,xxx. but i'm sure there had to be a 1 in front of the 85. hopefully not a 2.:eek:

phatazzDX
06-28-2002, 09:02 AM
Like 7 years ago, a friend of mine had an 89 2.0 Si. He bought it with 50,000 and drove it until 74,000. He would have had it longer, but the timing belt snaped, before the recommended mileage for changing it. Of course this toasted the engine. But he loved that car, it was a sweet ride for sure. I'm sure this is just an isolated thing, belts should last a little more than the recommended mileage.

87accordlx
06-28-2002, 11:49 AM
i love 3rd gen ludes, i am serously thinking of getting one after collage, it's between a DOHC lude or a nissan 240sx

gr3k0sLaV
06-29-2002, 04:42 AM
One must say there is very little difference externally between an 89 prelude and an 89 accord coupe, on a quick glance you wouldn't really notice the subtle differences.

The only major difference I can think of, off the top of my head is the prelude bonnets are indented in, they dont have the reflectors on the head lights and the rear end tail lights are different, and they are slightly wider. Other than that they are pretty similar.

People ask me though if mines a prelude :)

heaps of people around here own 3rd gen preludes, there are quite a few around. I know one of my cousins friends had a black turbo one.

Im currently doing searching around at the moment for a wrecked 2nd gen prelude coz i want the b20a. The auctions are my best bet under the damaged vehicle section. A b20a from a 2nd gen prelude, add another $2900US (URK! nearly $6k AU!!!) for the turbo and ill be laughing.!

Jerren
06-29-2002, 08:53 AM
what kind of engine is in the 89 si? would it swap into the 3gee? btw i looked in the window and the car has 128,xxxx miles.

ACCORD EX
06-29-2002, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by Jerren
what kind of engine is in the 89 si? would it swap into the 3gee? btw i looked in the window and the car has 128,xxxx miles.

that's great milage ! :D

MIKE

Jerren
06-29-2002, 01:35 PM
hell yeh i know. my mom has a 95 volvo 960 with 107,xxx. that is damn good milage for the lude. i'm thinking of getting it. for $2k perhaps.