PDA

View Full Version : Power stearing fluid leak...

dysiu
11-17-2003, 06:58 PM
Hi guys,

I have a leak around power stearing rack... I was told it happens to many Hondas. The leak is getting worse, bad enough to start thinking about fixing.
Does any of you know what typically needs to be replaced down there and how hard it is?

BTW How about using regular PS/ATF fluid instead of Honda fluid?

I could leave without PS but I don't think it's healthy to operate PS rack manually... that is not healthy for the rack because it gives the driver a big muscle... :)

Jareds 89 LX-i
11-17-2003, 07:10 PM
DO NOT, and I repeat, do NOT use any power steering fluid other than genuine Honda P/S fluid!! Honda fluid is different than regular PS/ATF fluids, and if you use non-honda P/S fluid in your car, the seals will swell up and blow.

If the rack itself is leaking, there's really nothing you can do other than replacing the rack. You could try a little bit of Lucas power steering stop leak stuff, but more than likely it's time for a new rack. It may just be a hose though, so look closely and try and find exactly what and where it's leaking before replacing anything drastic.

meohmy01
11-17-2003, 07:12 PM
my 94 accord pisses out a 3 dollar bottle of honda power stearing fluid a day so i know where you're coming from. i've been told that they make a kit to replace all of the seals in it but that it rarley works. mine is coming off the road for the winter so i'm just going to replace the rack. good luck

drknow
11-18-2003, 08:06 PM
mine too :)

87accordlxph
11-19-2003, 04:09 PM
It's probably your high pressure steering pipe that goes from the gearbox back to the reservoir.

All you have to do is replace the part that's pretty much rusted to hell and leaking with some strong rubber tubbing and voilla! all fixed.

Use geniuen power steering fluid.

-Mike

DBMaster
11-19-2003, 08:16 PM
I am with ya. I replaced my rack about two months ago.