PDA

View Full Version : what the hell is wrong with my car...

TJ89Accord
11-17-2003, 11:20 PM
When I start my car when its cold. it runs like crap. It smokes, and the engine sputters. It doesn't rev high like it used to when it was cold, now it feels like it wants to die. Once it is warmed up, it drives great though. One thing I noticed was oil in my distributer cap. Maybe it has something to do with that. But I'm thinking maybe it is more of a carb issue... But it's driving me nuts!!! I have a short video of the exhaust smoke if it will help, but I don't know where to host a video. PLEASE HELP!!!

tim

shepherd79
11-18-2003, 03:41 AM
what color is the smoke?
fix the oil problem in distributor. it may be causing the problem.

POS carb
11-18-2003, 08:55 AM
Most likely too much choke. Do this with the motor cold:

open your hood, remove your aircleaner. plug the lines you disconnect.
Now tap your throttle, choke should be closed. Start your car.
It should be idling bad now and smoking, try opening the choke with your fingers a bit, see if you can position it to a steady idle. If you can remember where the choke is positioned and drill out the choke rivets. You can adjust the choke to a more opened position. Either pop in new rivets or use a screw and drywall anchor combo. This happened to my car and I NEVER FIGURED OUT WHY, IT WAS AS IF THE POWER VALVE WAS STICKING, but this definately fixed it.

TJ89Accord
11-18-2003, 10:02 AM
its a dark color smoke. I haven't had much time to play around with anything yet, but ill look at the carb. Thanks.

tim