PDA

View Full Version : idle problem???

ltown lx-i
11-18-2003, 01:25 PM
I drive an 88 lx-i....for a few months it was running fine but every now and then the idle would go from 1000 down really low to where the car almost shuts off and go back up again and so on....this is extremely annoying and really pisses me off :burn: especially at night because then the lets get really dim and the car shakes like hell....i read my ecu and it said code 7...could that be the problem and how much is that to fix?????....thanks

Dibbs
11-18-2003, 02:05 PM
Code 7 is you TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). It's the sensor attatched to your throttle body. Probably needs to be replaced. The fluctuating idle could be a result of the faulty TPS. Replace the TPS and if the idling problem occours. You will probably need a new fast idle valve. It's located behind the intake manifold near where the throttle body connects. It's about 7 inches tall and has got coolant lines runing through the bottom. If you replace it, get new o-rings, there's 3 of them. Here's a link with pictures of what I'm talking about. You can see the TPS and the Fast idle valve here.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1986&catcgry3=3DR+LXI+NON-PASSIVE&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=THROTTLE+BODY+%28PGM-FI%29