PDA

View Full Version : Weight vs HP

POS carb
06-25-2002, 08:39 PM
What was the formula for figuring how much a certain loss/gain of weight is equivelant to gaining/losing hp? Cuz I definately notice the difference without my box in the trunk (mfg. lists weight as 70lbs unloaded plus the weight of the 2 subs) and I was curious as to what kind of HP difference it feels like.
Thanks

s0crates82
06-25-2002, 10:14 PM
well, you can figure the total weight of the vehicle, divided by the horsepower... this will show you how many pounds each hp has to move.

now, when you factor in gas, you, and your system and all it's components, you can get a working estimate of how much poundage you're pushing with your power.

when you get to street bikes, we're talking about 5-6 pounds of weight for every precious HP, when we talk about 3geez, we're up in the 20-24 range. gives you an idea of why a Katana will always beat an Accord... The Accord has move four times the weight as the Katana does.

now if you have two nineteen year olds, and one is wearing light summer clothes, and the other has three friends stacked on his shoulders... who is going to win a footrace? To be less dramatic, imagine the same race, but with a very powerful runner carrying a piano versus a unladen ten year old... then you can picture a strong plant in a heavy vehicle, versus a lighter plant in a smaller vehicle.

Look, it's just like Michael Palin said:

"It's simply a matter of weight ratios, a five ounce bird can't carry a one pound coconut."

---hell, even if he managed, he'd lose a race to a unladen swallow any day of the week. If you can somehow magically make 500lbs disappear off your car, you will definitely know the difference.

http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=759