PDA

View Full Version : APC Street Spec steering wheel install issues

Sabz5150
11-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Aiight guys, I bought myself an APC wheel for my 3gee. Yeah yeah, APC I know but it isn't one of those gawdy momo look-a-likes. Just a simple 3 spoke that I think looks simple and stylish.

http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=308123

Anyway, there are a few issues that need to be looked at for anyone who wants any APC wheel on their ride. First off, the install kit (Part number 60.53595) needs a bit of modification to work, specifically to get the horn working. The copper ring doesn't mate to the horn ring on the steering column. It mates to the Resume function on the cruise control (Which you lose changing wheels). In order for the horn to work, the assembly that the factory wheel plug connects to must be removed. This is a bit tricky, but just keep pulling, it'll pop out. You'll need to remove the contacts from this for the horn and solder it to the APC hub so that it contacts the copper ring on the column for the horn. The inner plastic ring that keeps the factory connector in place must be cut off for the hub to connect to the turn signal cancel switch (The piece that makes your turn signal switch off after a turn). I'll post more info (and a howto) when I get the wheel installed.

For now, here's a picture of the modified APC hub. Yeah, there's a lot of solder there but this is an accuracy by volume job.

Sabz5150
11-19-2003, 11:17 AM
Grrrrr.... friggin IMG didnt work :mad:

Hereya go.

NXRacer
11-19-2003, 11:32 AM
man, thats a classic/muscle car steeringwheel. You think it'll look good in a 3g?

Sabz5150
11-19-2003, 11:35 AM
I had it in there for a bit getting parts of the install straight and I think it's looks decent. Has a nice feel to it too.

Sabz5150
11-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Bam!

NXRacer
11-19-2003, 12:57 PM
not a great choice IMO. too much of a muscle car look.

something like this would have been a little better:
http://www.gmpperformance.com/products/interior_parts/images/steering_wheels/sparco/flash5_multi.jpg

this is the style i want:

http://www.gmpperformance.com/products/interior_parts/images/steering_wheels/sparco/extreme%202_large.jpg

Sabz5150
11-19-2003, 05:35 PM
Not bad NX. I like the style of the D wheels, but the price keeps me away from them. I've always liked the classic racer wheel look, so I chose that, and the 20 dollar price tag can't be beat.

crwa
11-19-2003, 09:37 PM
That Sparco wheel is so sick... But you'll spend $200 for it and another $50 for the hub... They look cool, but are uncomfortable, if you want one simialr to that get the one that is only flat on the bottom not the top...

PortugalFocus
11-20-2003, 04:26 PM
(In your best Homer Simpson voice) .......MMM........D style steering wheel....... ~drools~

NXRacer
11-20-2003, 05:05 PM
you can get the D wheels for a lot cheaper then $200. Just dont get sparco and you'll save a bundle. I'll have to find a couple that are cheaper.

buzzbomber88lx
11-21-2003, 05:08 PM
that wheel looks pretty good in the car but i think you went overkill on the light blue dash(doesnt look right). I like the wheel though. it would look tight in my celica over the gay ass stock one. I hate the d type wheels they look god awful. Have you heard the joke about the small steering wheels??
why do "insert race" drive cars with small steering wheels??
so they can drive them with handcuffs on. werd.
The momo wheels look better than the d type.

Sabz5150
11-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by buzzbomber88lx
that wheel looks pretty good in the car but i think you went overkill on the light blue dash(doesnt look right).

I'll swap that to brushed aluminum once I can score a few other brushed pieces. Gotta get some to finish up the door panels and a piece to replace the shoddy gauge cluster to the right above the glovebox. Gotta locate some raw aluminum about 1/8 to 1/4 inch thick. Machine shop time! I'll ebay the dash gauge bezel.