PDA

View Full Version : problems removing rear shocks

meohmy01
11-19-2003, 04:33 PM
i'm replacing the shocks on my car. the front went smooth but on both of the rear shocks the bolt is stuck in the bushing or something and the heads are stripped out. i'm just wondering if anyne else has had this problem. i'm not sure what to do so please help.

shepherd79
11-19-2003, 05:56 PM
i had this problem.
you can cut the bolt, and hammer out the piece inside the bushing. becareful not to knock the bushing out, or you will have to take rear suspension to the mashine shop so they can press the bushing back in.

meohmy01
11-19-2003, 06:43 PM
i'll try it. i cut the nut off the end and tried hammering it out but it wouldn't budge. i guess i'll try cutting the colt head off as well so i can remove the shock and then try hammering it out.

Vinny
11-20-2003, 06:09 AM
Spray the hell out of it with PB blaster and let it set, spray it again then take a punch and hammer to it. It might be a good idea to not cut the bot head off it yet. Sears sells a Bolt-out set that works REALLY well on nuts and bolts that are rounded out. I used one to get my down pipe off. I just hammered it on and cranked away, of course it bent a 1/2 snapon breaker bar and snapped the stud in the process but it never slipped off the nut:lol Anyways you might try usung the bolt out set on the rounded off bolt head after you spray it down and see if you can get it to turn enough to loosen it up. If you can brak it loose enough to turn it a few turns that may hel to push it out with a punch

shepherd79
11-20-2003, 07:03 AM
if you spray with PB blaster it will slide the rubber bushing out like it is on butter.

Vinny
11-20-2003, 07:12 AM
how will the rubber bushing slide out if the strut lower mount arms are still wedged on both sides of the bushing"???????? The lower mounting arms shouls keep the bushing in place shouldn't it??????????? Especially if he hasn't cut the other end off.

READ closely at my post, I suggested that IF he hadn't cut the the bolt head off therefore the bolt still being attatched at one end and strut lower mount arms would keep the bushing in place

meohmy01
11-20-2003, 03:48 PM
how much are those bolt out things? i have like $0.35 to my name so spending as little money as possible is what i'm tring to do. how about using a gear puller to push it out. do you think that might work?