PDA

View Full Version : Alternator whine

Stegge
11-20-2003, 01:13 PM
I'm a victim of that damn alternator whine. I have searched the net for different solutions, but in most cases the whine appears when you have installed an amp and own RCA wiring. I have nothing like that installed, just the standard 4 speaker system and a JVC stereo.
The whine appears when I turn the headlights on (not parking). It gets even worse with the long-distance lights on.

How is this possible? Any ideas? :(

k-roy
11-20-2003, 01:21 PM
That is what happened before my old alt. went bad. The reason it gets louder is there is more of a current draw, making the alt. work harder.

AccordEpicenter
11-22-2003, 12:17 PM
make sure your battery and ground connections are good

zero.counter
11-22-2003, 02:53 PM
PROPER GROUNDING
Ensure that you have a good ground on the stereo, moreso to the chassis. If it persists, use an inline noise filter.

dXsquared
11-22-2003, 04:02 PM
therer is a little wire by the coil that deletes ground loop noise.. mine was unhooked... i hooked it back up and it killed all my alt noise...

Travis

AccordEpicenter
11-23-2003, 06:20 PM
i bet it was your noise condenser

Stegge
11-24-2003, 03:02 AM
Yeah the radio condenser is connected. But maybe it's fu**ed up. I better re-check it with a condenser-tester

I have also thought about making a new and better ground for the radio.

Better start working on it - (yess it's snowing outside... that makes everything even more fun.):huh:

Stegge
11-24-2003, 03:46 AM
Whoops!

I checked the radio condenser but it was fine (0,5 microF)

But then I pulled the ground wire between the engine and battery. It was almost broken!

I'm making a new one and let's see what happens... :D

easyryder
11-24-2003, 09:38 PM
You r on the right track Grounding your unit properly will reduce (or eliminate) noise

Stegge
11-26-2003, 11:25 AM
Ok, the new ground cables for the battery , engine and radio didn't help. The whine is still there. Despite that, now the car's idle has dropped so low that you could think it's a diesel engine. What's happening??
Probaby my alternator is about to go to heaven. Strange, because the charging voltage is OK
Hmm this is becoming more of a technical issue than a audio... :D