PDA

View Full Version : Alternator Time

MilTownSHO
11-20-2003, 08:43 PM
Well the HONDA left me stranded tonight, two blocks away from home on a hill! :rant: I think the alternator went, cause the battery light has been on for about 100 miles and the actual battery is new. It had been starting fine and I was going to take it to an auto store to get it tested, but I haven't had time with school and work. So don't flame me for having kept driving it like that, I wasn't going to forever, the SHO is in storage now, so I had NO choice.

Anyway, I'm looking at how to replace it and it says I have to "disconnect the left driveshaft from the steering knuckle"

That better be a joke, I did a search and found some info, looks like this is gonna be hard to replace :rant:

This is the LAST thing I need, I'm going out of town Saturday, thank god my mom going out of town tommorow so I can use the 98 SHO tommorow to get to work.

Is there an easier way or any tricks?

I'm so outta breath from pushing the stupid HONDA.

I now remember why I drive Fords, not one has left me stranded yet in 2+ years. The Honda accomplished that in less than 2 weeks!:rant:

Justin86
11-20-2003, 09:27 PM
Don't be thrashing the Honda you were the one that didn't fix the problem when you knew about it! SO take it back. All that you have to do it loosen the adjusting bolt 12mm wrench. 2nd bolt on top of alt I thing a 12mm wrench but might be 14mm wrench. 3rd a 14 or 17 wrench to remove the lower bolt. Remove the power cable abd plug-in then pull it out the bottom of the car otherwise you have to remove the air box and any hoses in the way. I can pull it in 10mins.

MilTownSHO
11-20-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Justin86
Don't be thrashing the Honda you were the one that didn't fix the problem when you knew about it! SO take it back.

Did you read where I said I didn't have time and no other car to drive?! Sorry this week has just been so shitty and I was pissed...

Anyhow, I just went out to the car, now that I pushed it home, and it started, barely, and stayed running for a few minutes, at least long enough for me to pull the SHO out of the garage and throw the Honda in it, so I won't have to worry about getting a ticket for leaving it on the street all weekend. So it makes me think, was there just enough juice in the battery to let it run for a bit after sitting or is my problem really not the alternator? The battery light was still on...

blazin3gen
11-20-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by MilTownSHO
Well the HONDA left me stranded tonight, two blocks away from home on a hill! :rant: I think the alternator went, cause the battery light has been on for about 100 miles and the actual battery is new. It had been starting fine and I was going to take it to an auto store to get it tested, but I haven't had time with school and work. So don't flame me for having kept driving it like that, I wasn't going to forever, the SHO is in storage now, so I had NO choice.

Anyway, I'm looking at how to replace it and it says I have to "disconnect the left driveshaft from the steering knuckle"

That better be a joke, I did a search and found some info, looks like this is gonna be hard to replace :rant:

This is the LAST thing I need, I'm going out of town Saturday, thank god my mom going out of town tommorow so I can use the 98 SHO tommorow to get to work.

Is there an easier way or any tricks?

I'm so outta breath from pushing the stupid HONDA.

I now remember why I drive Fords, not one has left me stranded yet in 2+ years. The Honda accomplished that in less than 2 weeks!:rant:

AWWWW the advantages of Driving stick Pop the clutch and roll that bad boy down the hill!

MilTownSHO
11-20-2003, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by blazin3gen
AWWWW the advantages of Driving stick Pop the clutch and roll that bad boy down the hill!

Yeah, but unfortunatly this was UPhill :mad:

Besides if the alternator really is dead, it wouldn't have stayed running anyhow...

Justin86
11-20-2003, 11:09 PM
Well pull the damn alt and take it and get tested. I don't know if it is bad I hope not for your sake. They are about $100 and it probably is bad.

danronian
11-21-2003, 04:43 AM
It sounds like the alt. to me too. But make sure all of your grounds are connected and not ripped off or corroded real bad. If some of your grounds are shot that could be the problem. Also could be badly corroded battery terminals (if they werent cleaned before installing the new battery).

jigga225
11-21-2003, 01:26 PM
sorry to say but you gonna do no better when you get your s.h.o fixed.
Cuz it's gonna leave you stranded at the bottom of a hill with no gas cuz it drinks so much.
Stick wit the honda

k-roy
11-21-2003, 01:47 PM
Haha. I would like to see a Ford from the late 80s with a good original alternator. They don't exist. Thats what you get with any old car, not just a Honda. You should have tested the alternator AND the battery before you replaced anything. You still start a car in reverse with a stick, I have proven that many times.

shepherd79
11-21-2003, 02:30 PM
unfortunatly you have no choice of how to remove the alternator.
you can drop the axel, but i would just drop the hole suspension.
Axel nut may be tight as hell so you may not be able to remove it.
just drop the hole thing on the ground and you should have some room to remove the alternator.
Don't try to remove it from under the intake manifold, unless you removed all your vacuum lines and you don't have all that crap hanging from the manifold.
GOOD luck.

MilTownSHO
11-21-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Justin86
They are about $100

That's twice the price I paid for the damn car, I'm thinking junkyard time. :rolleyes:

MilTownSHO
11-21-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by jigga225
sorry to say but you gonna do no better when you get your s.h.o fixed.
Cuz it's gonna leave you stranded at the bottom of a hill with no gas cuz it drinks so much.
Stick wit the honda

Actually my SHO get EXCELLENT gas mileage for a performance 6 cylinder mid 20's around town, and upper 20's on the highway, plus its 500 million times more fun to drive!:tongue:

MrBen
11-21-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by MilTownSHO
That's twice the price I paid for the damn car, I'm thinking junkyard time. :rolleyes:

There's your problem right there.

k-roy
11-21-2003, 04:39 PM
Damn you are cheap. You can save that in gas just by driving the Accord for a while.

blazin3gen
11-21-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
There's your problem right there.

:werd: shit i bought mine for 200 and i have put way more then $200 on the damn thing...

jigga225
11-22-2003, 04:47 PM
fORD tAURUS 1995.........
What things have gone wrong with the car?
Drippy radiator at engine temps between cold and full operating temp since 25,000 miles.

Speedometer broke at 29,000 miles and again at 70,000.

Mirror refuses to remain on windshield (since 50,000).

New tires at 75,000.

Replaced rear brake pads at 80,000.

Yellow crusty film over the head lamp lenses that won't clean off (90,000; only makes lights slightly dimmer - who cares?)

Mysterious stalling when stop-and-go driving in temperatures over 100 degrees farenheit (dealer says the fuel is evaporating before arriving in the engine) at 95,000 miles.

Broken gas cover latch at 100,000 (again, who cares?)

Malfunctioning cruise control at 110,000.

Water pump is dying at 120,000.

-------------------------------
AAAAAAAHAHAHHHAHAHAHA !!!

zero.counter
11-22-2003, 04:56 PM
Remove the alternator and bring it behind the engine along the firewall and it will come out. It will take some angling but will work.

P.S. Please don't knock the honda. It may not be the speediest car in the world, but that old gal has managed to get me up an around consistently for the last 7 years. Reliable, dependable, and forgiving to uncaring owners. Preventative maintenance my friend.

It's funny you should say that however, that is how I feel about fords...lol.

MilTownSHO
11-23-2003, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by kroy
Damn you are cheap. You can save that in gas just by driving the Accord for a while.

The Accord isn't that much better than the SHO on gas for starters and second off all I'm not cheap, I just don't feel like fixing it, someone just offered me $150 bucks for it as is and I'm thinking about saying GOODBYE!

I put over $50 into it already, I'm not saying $80 is bad, I just don't feel like putting the time or effort into this car, I have better places my money could go, OK?! :rant:

MilTownSHO
11-23-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by jigga225
fORD tAURUS 1995.........
What things have gone wrong with the car?
Drippy radiator at engine temps between cold and full operating temp since 25,000 miles.

Speedometer broke at 29,000 miles and again at 70,000.

Mirror refuses to remain on windshield (since 50,000).

New tires at 75,000.

Replaced rear brake pads at 80,000.

Yellow crusty film over the head lamp lenses that won't clean off (90,000; only makes lights slightly dimmer - who cares?)

Mysterious stalling when stop-and-go driving in temperatures over 100 degrees farenheit (dealer says the fuel is evaporating before arriving in the engine) at 95,000 miles.

Broken gas cover latch at 100,000 (again, who cares?)

Malfunctioning cruise control at 110,000.

Water pump is dying at 120,000.

-------------------------------
AAAAAAAHAHAHHHAHAHAHA !!!

Ok.......First off a SHO and a normal Taurus are ALOT different, like day and night.

For all those miles doesn't sound to bad to me.

Tires lasted till 75,000 that's GREAT
Rear brakes till 80,000, that's also EXCELLENT

As for the mirror get some better glue, get a new radiator to stop the leak, get some polish and the yellow crusty stuff will come off
;)

3G Jester
11-23-2003, 09:38 AM
no trust me. i know thatr yellow crap hes talking about. my dads van looks like this. the lenses are just pitted and gone to shit. when he or i drives it....we leave the high beams on all the time.

MilTownSHO
11-23-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by 3g Jester
no trust me. i know thatr yellow crap hes talking about. my dads van looks like this. the lenses are just pitted and gone to shit. when he or i drives it....we leave the high beams on all the time.

Trust me, go buy some polish and you won't have to. I didn't say I didn't believe him, this is starting to slowly happen on my 92 SHO also.

k-roy
11-23-2003, 10:55 AM
About the hazing of the headlights its an easy fix. Go buy some Maguiars plastic cleaner/polish. If you remove the headlights its even easier to get done with a buffer. With that stuff you can get them to look as good as new again.