PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about your Accord, good car or what?

SiZ
11-23-2003, 01:24 PM
Okay, my girlfriend is looking to buy an 89 Accord and I'm wondering if there's any problems we should be looking for, or things to check whent taking it for a drive? Are these cars notorious for anything?

Anyone here have any experiences with them? Its got 140,000 kilometers and its nice and cheap.

So, tell me about your 3rd gen Accord.

Thanks.

sporkHSP
11-23-2003, 01:34 PM
...popo the gas door, if there is rust... you may be looking at a potentially pricy fix... the rust inside the gas door may be getting into the tank, and into the engine... thats how it was on mine, and all the honda shops around here know all about the problem when i took it around...
Where do you live, and what model is it...DX LX LX-i SE-i?

SiZ
11-23-2003, 01:44 PM
I live in Ontario Canada..

The car doesn't have too much rust, it has some at the rear near the trunk, but no water got inside, I checked.

The car was a 1 owner car since new and its always been undercoated and taken care of.

BTW - She bought it today, so hopefully its a good car to her. She's a little scared of owning a carbed car because its new to her, but I don't see what the problem could be.

I don't know what trim model it is.. Pretty basic, it has AC and Cruise, but no sunroof or power windows or anything.

kicker1_solo
11-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Hey, I know you, you're from AF.

Anyways, 3rd gen accords are great cars, I'd look for a LXi or SEi if I were you, they're fuel injected where the DX, LX and such are carb. I love my accord, starts everytime I want to drive it. Great cars.

sporkHSP
11-23-2003, 01:50 PM
the car is an DX i think, with some extra options... its a good car, all i do suggest is that you open the gas door and maybe the gas cap and check the pipe going to the tank, you wouldnt be able to see rust from the outside...
i spent 1700 to fix the rust. the rust gets in the carb, and restricts the flow. RESULT: engine dies when it idles. you have to replace the rusted fuel lines to get it to stop... especially if its cold and wet where you live. i just suggest you check it out.

pimp86LX
11-23-2003, 02:19 PM
its an LX, I dont think they had the Dx up here in canada.

anyway, the 3g accord is a great car. smooth running, it has a few quirks like any car, but if you treat it right it will last for a LONG LONG time.

k-roy
11-23-2003, 03:06 PM
If you do standard maintaince it should last for years since it has reletively low miles.
Over the life of the car you will have to change the driveshafts, head gasket, ball joints and timing belt. Those things need changed about once every 100,000 miles. About like any other Honda out there.

hkplayer
11-23-2003, 03:21 PM
Welcome to the board, for at least your girl's sake. This board will help you/her immensely, like it has helped me. The accord is a great car and a lot of people feel that the 3rd generation accord was the last accord to have such a good engine. Ever since 1989, quality has not been as strong. Then again, its all subjective, but a good friend of mine that works at a Honda dealership feels the same way. :)

od2681
11-23-2003, 04:47 PM
check for leaks...mine was leakin oil from teh camshaft area....check mounts...mine were broken...basically check for leaks and broken stuff..

MrBen
11-23-2003, 05:15 PM
Mine has been a nightmare. It needed timing belt, water pump, oil pan, carb adjustment, major tune up, rad. cap, brakes, brake lines, rotors, rear boosters, lower balljoints, upper balljoints in the rear, axles, windshield, tires, muffler.... those are the big things. Now it's using oil. So I need to get the engine rebuilt. The tranny is GREAT for having near 250,000 miles on it. Clutch is the second one, it is great. Took a lot to get mine where it is today.... but worth it if you ask me.

Jareds 89 LX-i
11-23-2003, 05:22 PM
I already told you my thoughts over on h-t.com, but here's another thread of a similar question. Also check the links I posted in that thread as well

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23549

Glad to hear she got it afterall. Don't worry, if she takes care of it, it'll treat her right for a long long time. Just gotta remember to pump the gas a few times before starting, especially up there where it's coooooold! haha Good luck with it, and if you have any problems or questions, this is the place to ask! :wave:

zero.counter
11-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Good car, 177,645 Miles last time I checked, 1988 LX, regular maintenance performed at my own strict intervals, good mileage (30mpg), the only drawback right now is not A/C and the oil pan drain bolt was leaking its' guts all over my beautiful driveway until I switched over to the FRAM quick change kit with some thread locker and an RTV sealant around the outer edge of the bolt.

I love the old reliable gal.

SiZ
11-23-2003, 05:38 PM
Cool, thanks for all the info guys. :D

I checked all over for leaks and broken things, the car seems to be in really good shape. Its got a 3 month warantee incase anything happens right away anyway. :)

Timing belt and water pump will be changed right away, I advised that it's probably a good idea. Preventative measures.

TJ89Accord
11-23-2003, 10:05 PM
I have had my 3g for a little over 10 months. I have put a little over 30,000 miles on it, and I don't really baby it. I have a tendency to redline it in 1st so I can get up to speed quick. I changed an axel, a tie rod end, 2 ball joints. not much money at all. Previous owner did all the major stuff :).

Good luck with the new car. Get some pics up :).

tim

SiZ
11-24-2003, 04:11 AM
I can probably do that in a couple of days.

I don't think this car will ever see redline. She refuses to floor it. EVER.

Strange kids these days. Oh well hopefully since she completley babys her car it will be good to her.

Thanks again.

Vinny
11-24-2003, 05:45 AM
the 3rd gen accords are great cars. Good luck with it

Don87LX
11-24-2003, 06:30 AM
Never floors it?? How does she get anywhere...
:-)

sporkHSP
11-24-2003, 06:33 AM
she wont get anywhere in an LX if she doesnt floor it... i guess she can push it, it might accelerate for her then. ;)

SiZ
11-25-2003, 05:21 AM
I must be an LX then. :p It seems almost unbelievable to me.. I'm used to 160hp, 2100lbs and a 5 speed tranny.
I drove it and I floored it, "you gotta make sure it works". ;)

But ya, she'll never floor it. She just never thinks its nessicary and she fears what it might do to her motor.

MilTownSHO
11-25-2003, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by SiZ
I must be an LX then. :p It seems almost unbelievable to me.. I'm used to 160hp, 2100lbs and a 5 speed tranny.
I drove it and I floored it, "you gotta make sure it works". ;)

I know the feeling (see signature), anyhow I bought my Accord for $50 bucks and put 1,500 miles on it so far, I'm selling it cause now cause I have to, now that I was kinda starting to like the thing...

It's not a bad little car to get around in if that's all your using it for.