PDA

View Full Version : speed-o Question

adams86lxi
11-24-2003, 05:52 PM
My speedometer has always shook a little until it gets to 40 mph.
i know that is the cable and needs to be oiled, but now it makes a weird clicking sound and the needle seems to move nonstop it dosent stop at jiggling until 40mph anymore. Is the cable about to break? Or what do you think the problem is? Thanks

A20A1
11-24-2003, 06:43 PM
make sure it's secure in the back of the guage cluster... it may have popped out.. check the end on the trans side as well

k-roy
11-24-2003, 06:46 PM
If its not the cable it could be the sender on the tranny. Or it could be a burnt gear on the gauge (its mechanical). I had a burnt speedo gauge on my 88 Mitsu (same oem for the cluster).

DBMaster
11-24-2003, 07:29 PM
I have pulled my inner cable and lubed it with lithium grease a couple of times. It still shakes a bit at low speeds and makes a little noise when it's really cold outside.

From what I read here in the past it is probably due to slop inside the cable jacket from wear. Eventually, the shaking and noise gets worse, or the cable seizes and breaks. Either way, about the only fix at this point is to replace the cable.

BMS
11-24-2003, 08:28 PM
Mine shakes, has since I bought it, but it isn't getting worse or making noise. I always thought that was just something that manual trannys do up to ~20 mph or so

adams86lxi
11-24-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by DBMaster
I have pulled my inner cable and lubed it with lithium grease a couple of times. It still shakes a bit at low speeds and makes a little noise when it's really cold outside.

From what I read here in the past it is probably due to slop inside the cable jacket from wear. Eventually, the shaking and noise gets worse, or the cable seizes and breaks. Either way, about the only fix at this point is to replace the cable.

Maybe it is just the cold. Its been mostly doing this in the morning . Like today it was about 30 degrees when i left my house. But i will pull the cluster apart this weekend and see if i can see anything and greese it up.

BTW: how much is a new speedo cable anyways?

HostileJava
11-25-2003, 05:30 AM
I'd just pull one from the jk, theres not to much that can go wrong with them, u should be able to see if there is anything wrong when u pull it out.

DBMaster
11-25-2003, 08:10 AM
The whole cable assembly is $28.61 from Majestic Honda

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

Beats the heck out of trying to get one out of a junker!

I doubt that trying to lube the actual speedo will do much good. It gets its input from a rotating magnet and has very few moving parts. The noise and vibration is coming from the cable.

adams86lxi
11-25-2003, 01:23 PM
I doubt that trying to lube the actual speedo will do much good. It gets its input from a rotating magnet and has very few moving parts. The noise and vibration is coming from the cable.

o i wasnt going to lube the actual speedo i meant the cable. What should i use to lube it, graphite, wd-40, tri lube?