PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Grinds at High RPM

86dxAccord
11-24-2003, 08:14 PM
Any ideas? It only grinds when I take it to 8k.. I can take it to 7k and it wont grind. I also have a bad clutch petal and it needs to be replaced. could that be the cause of it ? :confused:

MrBen
11-24-2003, 08:20 PM
Suggestion: Don't redline your car. It is here for a reason.

86dxAccord
11-24-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by GhettoAccord
Suggestion: Don't redline your car. It is here for a reason.

I have about a grand more to go before I redline. But it does suck when it happens. But i have no clue what it is.

A20A1
11-24-2003, 08:33 PM
redline is at 6,500 rpm.
I upped my redline cause I changed the timing of the valves. I still need to balance the motor for more security... don't go past redline unless you at least did some mods to the valve train. If the cable is loose for the clutch then tighten it.
Don't drill your car into the ground... are you using the correct weight of oil... you need heavier oil when you rev like that. And a stronger oil pressure.

86dxAccord
11-24-2003, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by A20A1
redline is at 6,500 rpm.
I upped my redline cause I changed the timing of the valves. I still need to balance the motor for more security... don't go past redline unless you at least did some mods to the valve train. If the cable is loose for the clutch then tighten it.
Don't drill your car into the ground... are you using the correct weight of oil... you need heavier oil when you rev like that. And a stronger oil pressure.

so u think is the clutch pedel that could be causing it? Again my clutch pedal is broken and I had to use the firewall as resistance. The grinding only happens @ 8k+

A20A1
11-24-2003, 08:40 PM
You're going to kill your car if you keep doing that... just ease off... you only make power up to 5,800 rpm anyways with the stock cam and header.

86dxAccord
11-24-2003, 08:43 PM
You're going to kill your car if you keep doing that... just ease off... you only make power up to 5,800 rpm anyways with the stock cam and header.

DUDE...I know the limitations of my car, just like u know urs. I know how far I can take the engine. I was told the reason the tranny grinds, was because it was not meant to be taken that high.. Sounds a lil weird. That's why I am asking ppl's opinions.

MrBen
11-24-2003, 08:46 PM
You know the limitations of your car, yet you drive it with a bad clutch pedal? A stock a20 engine can only handle so much high reving. Sure they're bulletprrof, but don't test those waters like you are. The car is 17 years old. It has seen better days. Unless you have done significant modding, you are asking for a blown engine.

86dxAccord
11-24-2003, 08:47 PM
You know the limitations of your car? A stock a20 engine can only handle so much high reving. Sure they're bulletprrof, but don't test those waters like you are. The car is 17 years old. It has seen better days. Unless you have done significant modding, you are asking for a blown engine.

I understand all that. Why can't somebody just answer my question. PLEASE...:confused:

MrBen
11-24-2003, 08:48 PM
We have given you the answer.

86dxAccord
11-24-2003, 08:49 PM
We have given you the answer.

So it's the tranny?

A20A1
11-24-2003, 08:53 PM
I was tossing up suggestions so you can continue to enjoy your motor and rev it like you do. Even when I had the stock accord I would rev it high but I still did the basics to make sure the car was well lubed. I had 5 A20 motors that I worked on and had 3 Accords all at varying stages. I'm just trying to help. Anyways as long as it's not a preignition problem due to overheted plugs, or too much advance. Then It's probably all in the trans.

88LXi68
11-25-2003, 03:29 PM
Well, it could be the tranny BUT if the cable is loose or your pedal box is broken it might not be engaging right. SO FIRST, I would fix the clutch cable problem, if it continues it is your tranny.

TINBOAT
11-26-2003, 05:25 AM
...it's screwed. Period.

my86dx4dr
11-27-2003, 01:07 AM
holy hell batman, do we have a rev happy accord owner?.....you sure about that 8k thang?/ could you be a lil off on that, NO OFFENCE,:rolleyes: but when you take it that high, your liable to loose more then just your tranny, YOUR FUCKING LIFE IS AT STAKE!!..... :lol: i understand that you think you know your car, IF YOU REALLY DID KNOW YOUR CAR, you would know that revving that high is not only INSANE, but STUPID, why do you need to rev to 8k?:huh: after 5k your just asking for a rebuild! you know your car? i know my car! THERE THE SAME!:flip: AND I KNOW IF I DID THAT I WOULD BE TAKING PUB(l)IC TRANSPERTATION!.....and why do we all care about you blowing your engine?......CUZ WHEN YOU BLOW YOUR ENGINE I BET YOUL COME BACK HERE AND PISS AND MOAN AND ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE ``WILL PUTTING A TUNA CAN ON AS A TIP FOR MY EXHAUST MAKE IT RUN ANY BETTER? WILL IT START IF I DO THAT?"" AND BLAH BLAH BLAH, .....SO WE`R ALL TRYING TO AVOID STUPID THREADS MADE AS A RESULT OF STUPIDNESS!!:rant:...... OK!.... thank you for shopping with us now have a good night!:stupid: :wtf: :burn:

86dxAccord
11-27-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by my86dx4dr
holy hell batman, do we have a rev happy accord owner?.....you sure about that 8k thang?/ could you be a lil off on that, NO OFFENCE,:rolleyes: but when you take it that high, your liable to loose more then just your tranny, YOUR FUCKING LIFE IS AT STAKE!!..... :lol: i understand that you think you know your car, IF YOU REALLY DID KNOW YOUR CAR, you would know that revving that high is not only INSANE, but STUPID, why do you need to rev to 8k?:huh: after 5k your just asking for a rebuild! you know your car? i know my car! THERE THE SAME!:flip: AND I KNOW IF I DID THAT I WOULD BE TAKING PUB(l)IC TRANSPERTATION!.....and why do we all care about you blowing your engine?......CUZ WHEN YOU BLOW YOUR ENGINE I BET YOUL COME BACK HERE AND PISS AND MOAN AND ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE ``WILL PUTTING A TUNA CAN ON AS A TIP FOR MY EXHAUST MAKE IT RUN ANY BETTER? WILL IT START IF I DO THAT?"" AND BLAH BLAH BLAH, .....SO WE`R ALL TRYING TO AVOID STUPID THREADS MADE AS A RESULT OF STUPIDNESS!!:rant:...... OK!.... thank you for shopping with us now have a good night!:stupid: :wtf: :burn:

So your saying your car can't do this?

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/8/web/260000-260999/260423_57_full.jpg

my86dx4dr
11-27-2003, 08:14 PM
i dont see the point in revving that high,

86dxAccord
11-27-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by my86dx4dr
i dont see the point in revving that high,

It's easy with my car. Dat was just 1st Gear.

my86dx4dr
11-27-2003, 10:40 PM
my max shift point is 6 grand, there IS a reason for the red in your tach, but im not gonna diss on YOU im just sayin that if you wanna blow your motor, thats an easy way, wanna get cancer, SMOKE alot everyday and eventualy ya will

my86dx4dr
11-27-2003, 10:42 PM
by the way, ya need some gas soon :D i know, still bout 65 miles left,

88LXi68
11-27-2003, 10:56 PM
LOL

Justin86
11-27-2003, 11:26 PM
Ok first question how old are you cause you really don't know much about basic mechanics. You act like some kid that thinks he is a bad ass and makes is own rules. You probably didn't know that you are suppose to change you tranny oil every 30,000 miles and that there is a reason why people that race and have high rev engines use heaver engine oil! I'm trying not to come out to strong but get a clue.
I'm supprised you haven't thrown a rod or have serious valve train problems, but give it time you will be shit out of luck and stranded on the side of a road with a screwed up car. :sadwave:

86dxAccord
11-27-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Justin86
Ok first question how old are you cause you really don't know much about basic mechanics. You act like some kid that thinks he is a bad ass and makes is own rules. You probably didn't know that you are suppose to change you tranny oil every 30,000 miles and that there is a reason why people that race and have high rev engines use heaver engine oil! I'm trying not to come out to strong but get a clue.
I'm supprised you haven't thrown a rod or have serious valve train problems, but give it time you will be shit out of luck and stranded on the side of a road with a screwed up car. :sadwave:

:lol This is some funny stuff!:werd:

I can do it all the way thru 4th Gear. My car is just amazing.

my86dx4dr
11-28-2003, 12:34 AM
well 3geez or deadgeez its all the same right? :lol:

MattsAccord
11-28-2003, 01:03 AM
How long have you been doing this with your car? If you have been doing this for a while you must have the best 3gee ever build or the shit is going to hit the fan soon.

my86dx4dr
11-28-2003, 01:05 AM
come on now, HIS car is just amazing, so he has the power!

MattsAccord
11-28-2003, 01:09 AM
he must have naaawwwssss :lol

A20A1
11-28-2003, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by 86 accord in C.P.
How long have you been doing this with your car? If you have been doing this for a while you must have the best 3gee ever build or the shit is going to hit the fan soon.

The car can take quite a bit, you just have to make sure it's getting what it needs at the higher rpms. I lost my first motor cause of detonation (wrong spark plug, cooling problems, a little too much distributor advance, and other things I'm forgetting to mention)... The ceramic on my spark plug blew apart, so I replaced the plug and turned back the dizzy. Little did I know I had cracked one half of the rod bearring on that run, so after my next run the rod came loose.

The concern with the stock carbed cars is the fuel cut that comes on at 6,800? I forget, anyways If the float drains you'll lean out.

my86dx4dr
11-28-2003, 02:21 AM
thank you a20a1 for digitizing my analog words......we all learn the hard way EDIT: last post here just realized im post whoring:smokin:

Justin86
11-28-2003, 10:22 AM
The car can take quite a bit, you just have to make sure it's getting what it needs at the higher rpms. I lost my first motor cause of detonation (wrong spark plug, cooling problems, a little too much distributor advance, and other things I'm forgetting to mention)... The ceramic on my spark plug blew apart, so I replaced the plug and turned back the dizzy. Little did I know I had cracked one half of the rod bearring on that run, so after my next run the rod came loose.

The concern with the stock carbed cars is the fuel cut that comes on at 6,800? I forget, anyways If the float drains you'll lean out.
Well it sounds like we should tell people the correct way to rev high.
1. cam (to make sure you can make the power up there)
2. correct ingnition advance
3. correct spark plug (not sure which type)
4. breaking point of rods (around 8K+)
5. cooling issues
6. heaver oil weight. engine=10W-40/ tranny 30W
what else I'am missing?

A20A1
11-28-2003, 12:11 PM
3.By correct spark plug you need the right heat range... since the plug will have to dissapate heat quickly.
5. Cavitating, the water pump spins to fast and that messes up the flow of coolant. Either we need to slow down the water pump or get an electric pump to have a steady flow of coolant.
6. I use 20w 50
7. Increased Oil PSI

86dxAccord
11-28-2003, 12:27 PM
3.By correct spark plug you need the right heat range... since the plug will have to dissapate heat quickly.
5. Cavitating, the water pump spins to fast and that messes up the flow of coolant. Either we need to slow down the water pump or get an electric pump to have a steady flow of coolant.
6. I use 20w 50
7. Increased Oil PSI

Yep! My engine is covered. Power up7600k is a blessing. Hey A20a1. Mt friends gauges wont work at all in his Lx. We had to install an aftermarket tach just to get an RPM reading. The Gas/Temp is not working either. I am clueless and we are about to take it to an electrician. any ideas?

BootMachine
11-28-2003, 01:31 PM
You only have 150 000 on your engine...this is why you can rev to 8 grand.

I reved my engine to 8 grand and its lasted 300 000 KMS...however....I only got it that high a few times. ALL other times I shift at the recommended red-line!

Your engine will not produce power at 8 grand so there is no point in doing it.

I now have EXTREMLEY bad valve problems resulting in me burning about one bottle of oil a week.

The new engine is on the way and I will NOT be shifting at 8 grand.

When you engine blows...come to me and I'll rebuild it at a good price.

Your transmission is not designed to shift under those high RPM conditions. If your tranni shifts with no grinding at 6.5 grand it is functioning properly!

If your tranni grinds at 6 grand you need new syncros. These are inexpensive however VERY labour intensive to install!

Good luck my friend and expect to need a rebuild soon! No big deall..engines are dime a dozen!

A20A1
11-28-2003, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by 86dxAccord
Yep! My engine is covered. Power up7600k is a blessing. Hey A20a1. Mt friends gauges wont work at all in his Lx. We had to install an aftermarket tach just to get an RPM reading. The Gas/Temp is not working either. I am clueless and we are about to take it to an electrician. any ideas?

Check all the fuses even the unrelated ones.
Other then that I got rid of my stock guages as soon and they stopped working... I have mostly autometer guages now and don't plan to use the stock ones. Though it would be nice to know how much fuel is in the tank, I keep getting stranded. :lol

86dxAccord
11-28-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by BootMachine
You only have 150 000 on your engine...this is why you can rev to 8 grand.

I reved my engine to 8 grand and its lasted 300 000 KMS...however....I only got it that high a few times. ALL other times I shift at the recommended red-line!

Your engine will not produce power at 8 grand so there is no point in doing it.

I now have EXTREMLEY bad valve problems resulting in me burning about one bottle of oil a week.

The new engine is on the way and I will NOT be shifting at 8 grand.

When you engine blows...come to me and I'll rebuild it at a good price.

Your transmission is not designed to shift under those high RPM conditions. If your tranni shifts with no grinding at 6.5 grand it is functioning properly!

If your tranni grinds at 6 grand you need new syncros. These are inexpensive however VERY labour intensive to install!

Good luck my friend and expect to need a rebuild soon! No big deall..engines are dime a dozen!

Dude! You Lost me. What r u talking about? 150 000?

Justin86
11-29-2003, 09:40 AM
MILES!:)
So A20A1 this electric water pump sounds like a good idea. Either mod another pump to fit or get a bigger pulley for the stock one to slow it down.