PDA

View Full Version : Sick of subs being in car..

88LX-iSedan
11-24-2003, 11:04 PM
Appearently, I no longer care about having bass in my car and all the more reason to try this sence my powered sub blew to my home stereo.. If it's possible. Alright, To get to the point.. I want to know if there is a way to hook-up a "car" amp in home... Basically how to get power to it.. etc . Hopefully some of you know how to do this.

Thanks,
Matt

Vanilla Sky
11-24-2003, 11:09 PM
yes, get a 12 volt power supply... the downside is the price... you can get a new home amp for that price

OR do what i did when tht happened to me... ust the plate amp from your LFE for the car subs... even though they aren't rated high, it seems that most are rated in RMS

88LX-iSedan
11-24-2003, 11:39 PM
Hmm.. Sorta' screwed either way. Trashed the "LFE", So no amp left from it and don't really feel like paying for a power supply, if it's expensive. ..Oh well, Thanks for the help :)

Vanilla Sky
11-25-2003, 12:01 AM
well, hit up pawn shops and yardsales for an amp.. noth hard to find, and you can sometimes score one hell of a deal on them

HostileJava
11-25-2003, 05:26 AM
Well Computers have 12v powers supplies, but the will not provide with the kind of amps u need. What is the rating of the fuse in ur amp?

pmip
11-25-2003, 09:15 AM
Really impractical, but you could hook up a 12v battery to a charger running off house current, then run the amp off the battery.

Morbid Intentionz
11-25-2003, 08:57 PM
it can be done, i done it, All you need is a 12v power supply go pck one up at kmart or target for like 10 at the most and hook everythn up like you normally would

Originally posted by pmip
Really impractical, but you could hook up a 12v battery to a charger running off house current, then run the amp off the battery.

funny you say that i did that way back when, but i had the car subs, car amp, and stock radio

Mystic1
11-26-2003, 05:07 AM
I have been doing this for almost a year and I have had no problems. The only thing to watch out for is that car subs and house subs are made to run off different amounts of ohms(however the hell you spell it), car being 4 and house being 8, or was that the other way around.... ..well, you get the idea. Just don't use a lot of power on an expensive sub because you might blow it due to the dufferent ohms. At least this is what I have always been told.

Vanilla Sky
11-26-2003, 09:15 AM
hmmm, seems that you've been told wrong... well, for the most part

drivers of all kinds come in all sorts of flavors... i can buy 2,4,and 8 ohm single voice coil versons of quite many car speakers... same with most any good home speaker...

it's not the sub you're gonna blow... unless you are pumping ungodly amounts of distortion into it... the amp is what's gonna break down... putting a 2 ohm load on an amp that's meant to take an 8 ohm load can very easily overheat it and it simply "melt down"...

you should impedance match your speakers to your amps, but you can do it if you monitor your system's well-being...

now, as to cheap power supplies and battery chargers... most car amps draw A GOOD DEAL of power, my 200 watt amp consistantly and nearly constantly draw 30 amps... for a power supply that powerful, you're looking at like $150 or more... just hit up a pawn shop and get an amp that way

Mystic1
11-27-2003, 12:32 AM
Thanks for the correction.. ..I was told about this a long time ago, so it could just be my memory was a little distorted, but I knew there was something to do with the ohms. I'm running 250 watts into an 8" bass tube for my home theater and have had no problems to date. That much I know for sure ;)

Vanilla Sky
11-27-2003, 02:19 AM
well, for the most part, you won't run into much trouble unless your amp overheats or it gets to a point where it only feeds pure distortion... the latter case is the only time you'll have any real chance of killing the subwoofer, but since subs are cheaper than amps (in MOST cases), impedance match them when possible...

also, using 4 ohm speakers on an 8 ohm amp is usually possible, just watch for heat... usually you will have to bring the gain down... i'm also gonna go so far as to say i've never tried this with a car amp, just home units... i would think that they are the same, but i'm running a 2 ohm load to my 8 ohm plate amp with no problems whatsoever... it gets toasty hot, but i've been doing it for about 2 months and everything is still great on it... but one thing to take into consideration is the huge heatsink that is on MOST home amps... not saying all, but most... it's usually a good deal better than one for a car... it's ALL in the design of the particular amp in question...