PDA

View Full Version : High Flow Panel Air Filter

tozza6
11-24-2003, 11:48 PM
Hi Guys!
I am thinking about getting a K&N panel air filter for my 89 Si. I was just wondering if there are any real benefits. I have heard that the car runs better and you get a bit more power. Is it really worth the money? I'm keeping my car as stock as possible but i want to do some small things to it.
Thanks for any comments!!
:wave:

A20A1
11-24-2003, 11:54 PM
It depends... how often do you change your air filter... if you live in a dusty place then the K&N will help since you can reuse it. Look at the cost of the re-oiling kits / Recharge kits too since you'll need one of those.

You can always make a cold air intake and stick on a foam filter... those are easy to clean and reuse.

tozza6
11-25-2003, 12:10 AM
i would only replace the air filters when they need replacing - i haven't replaced it in the year i've had the car. Cold Air Intake....I have thought about it but i'm not sure how the insurance would go....Plus i want to keep the car as stock as possible.

Do the air filters increase power so it is noticable? or can you only tell the difference on a dyno or some measuring device?

A20A1
11-25-2003, 12:29 AM
It's not going to be a big gain. They say the Air filter is a restriction but then the whole intake pipe is a restriction as well... K&N does say that there design smoothes out the air flow which helps.

DBMaster
11-25-2003, 08:05 AM
Take a look at this first!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

It appears that the gains to be had by going to a reusable filter have been highly overrated.

k-roy
11-26-2003, 02:41 AM
It is overrated. But it does flow more air. I think the best benifit is that they have a million mile warrenty and can be cleaned over and over with a $10 kit. That will save money in the life of the car. And it would be better on the enviroment by not having to throw away a filter every six months

DBMaster
11-26-2003, 09:53 AM
True, but having used an Amsoil reusable foam filter in my Accord for several years I can tell you that the cleaning part is a pain in the a$$. The amount of extra air flow will not be noticed in your power or fuel economy. I find it much easier just to buy the $15 paper filter and drop a new one in every 30,000 miles.

DBMaster
11-26-2003, 09:53 AM
True, but having used an Amsoil reusable foam filter in my Accord for several years I can tell you that the cleaning part is a pain in the a$$. The amount of extra air flow will not be noticed in your power or fuel economy. I find it much easier just to buy the $15 paper filter and drop a new one in every 30,000 miles.

Plus, if you looked at my link you will see that the guy's oil analysis when using the K&N filter showed increased silicon levels in his crankcase oil. This means MORE dirt was getting into the engine than with a basic paper filter.

racerx
11-26-2003, 12:01 PM
IMO an intake upgrade DOES in fact give you noticeably more power. Just a K&N filter in your stock box will not give you much more flow or power,
but an $8 peice of aluminum dryer hose, some $5 heat shielding, and a roll of foil tape will set you striaght with a cheap and very effective CAI.
That's what I did and my car DEFINATELY gained power--especially on a cold night! :)

Justin86
11-26-2003, 08:18 PM
Well if you want to keep the car stock then just buy a regular filter. You sound like if you make the car perform any better then stock then your insurance cost will rise or something. It just a damn air filter, either get it or don't.