PDA

View Full Version : Think positive thoughts for me

kelli217
11-25-2003, 07:24 AM
I have a mysterious power drain that seems to happen most often during cold, wet weather. Yesterday the shop replaced the alternator that had just been replaced in August and the battery that had just been replaced in September, in an attempt to rule both components out as the source of the problem.

Think positive thoughts that somehow, one or the other or both of those two components slipped by quality control and were the source of the problem, because looking for a power drain is not going to be easy, fun, nor cheap.

hkplayer
11-25-2003, 08:47 AM
Best of luck kelli, when it comes to our older cars, even if it is a Honda...all I and we can do is hope.

BootMachine
11-25-2003, 09:29 AM
Good luck my friend...you have a real can of worms on your hands!

racerx
11-27-2003, 12:18 PM
Well, Happy Thanksgiving and...
Where does the powerdrain occur? (not your geographic location, the rpm)
I have had the same problem before. Some suggestions (based on not knowing much about your problem):
NGK Plugs - way WAY better than Bosch Plantinum +, +2, and +4
Homemade CAI (cheap and way more effective, I'll post pics later)
Air/fuel ratio

The NGK plugs made a world of difference for me. I guess the Bosch plugs just couldn't detonate all the gas and air; even with an Accel coil!

'89AccordLX(Rus)
11-28-2003, 09:01 AM
To find an electrical power drain, get a multi meter and measure current flow at the battery while systematically removing each fuse in the fuse box. If a certain fuse stops the drain, then you found which system is at fault. Once you find that out, you can narrow down your search for the problem. Also, the reason it may occur during cold and wet weather may be because moisture is bridging a contact(s) somewhere and causing current drain.

Justin86
11-28-2003, 09:57 AM
Well it is probably something out side the cabin of the car since it is affected by the weather. It could be some unprotected fuses ot something. Just start looking for something that dosen't look right.

kelli217
01-23-2004, 09:05 AM
It started happening again. It was good for a while, but here it is only two months later and I'm having the problem again. Again, it's linked to cold weather. It also tends not to be a problem if I drive the car less than 10 hours before the next time I want to use it -- if I wait more than that length of time, then it will fail to crank, or else be VERY slow in cranking.

Now, I'm not really smart when it comes to cars. I get weird theories that often turn out to have nothing to do with the problem. But here's my theory, anyway. I've had trouble with my main relay in the summer, it will stick open in the hot weather and I won't be able to start the car. Is it at all possible that in the COLD weather, it sticks closed? And thus creates a drain on the battery?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-23-2004, 05:39 PM
It is hard for a relay to be in the closed position because it is usually forced in to that position by some sort of current going TO the relay. So unless something is malfunctioning, it is not likely that the main relay is stuck. Your best bet at finding what the problem is would be to get a good quality mutlimeter and measure for current draw at the battery terminals. Most probably there will be some draw. At this point start removing each of the fuses in the fuse box and see which fuse causes the current draw to stop. Then find out what part of the electrical system it controls and start diagnosing the problem at the source. A lot of things can be influenced by cold weather in the car so it is hard to suggest what particular part is the culprit. It may be something in the cabin because it takes as you say almost 10 hours for the problem to surface. The interior cools slower than the exterior and hence the longer time period. Also, if your main relay was stuck closed, wouldn't you notice that since it controls some of the main systems of the car?

Hope this helps.