PDA

View Full Version : 4 brakelights?... ..or swaped trunk lid?

Mystic1
11-25-2003, 10:03 AM
I just picked up my 3g about a month ago, for some reason I just realised I have 4 brakelights. 2 in the normal location above the bumper, the typical 3rd light mounted on the rear dash inside the car and 1 that acts as a center suport for the rear wing. Is this normal? Logic tells me no but; both the center lights apear to be factory.

(I will post pics as soon as my gf brings my camera back)

The light mounted under the wing is centered on the back of the trunk lid with what apears to be a thin layer of weather striping/ waterproof foam on top where it contacts the wing. The wing just seems to sit on it, not actually be connected to it. The wing actually connects with the outside runners of a luggage rack that is screwed to the trunk lid. I have seen no pics of a 3g with a luggage rack and I checked with the Kelly Blue Book and there is no listing for a luggage rack option.

Any input on where this trunk lid might have come from would be a big help.

The last owner says it was like that when he got it and he just never questioned it.

NXRacer
11-25-2003, 12:01 PM
luggage rack on a 3g?? my sister had one on her 2g, but i've never seen one on a 3g. I have 4 brakelights on mine.

Mystic1
11-25-2003, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure if its a functional luggage rack but I can think of no other way to discribe it. There are about 6 or 7 plastic bars going front to back across the trunk lid. The wing is mounted on either end to the outer most bars of the 'luggage rack' The virtical bars are not connected to each other but instead look to be screwed to the trunk lid.

OK.. ..I can see the flaming coming already but here goes.. ..I went on ebay. I know this isn't a 3g its a mustang but the wing and rack look identical.. ..hummmm.. is it possable that someone would.......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2445049901&category=6236

HostileJava
11-25-2003, 12:35 PM
Yeah, that's normal. My wing has a brake light in it also.

Mystic1
11-25-2003, 12:50 PM
But would you still have the third brake light inside the car? Heck.. ..the wing blocks the inside light... hummm... ...might think about just painting the one under the wing to match the car. when it stops raining i'll paint some masking tape white and stick it over the light to see what I think.

HostileJava
11-25-2003, 12:59 PM
My spoiler is stock from the factory and they left the 3rd brake light in.

Mystic1
11-25-2003, 01:05 PM
Well, thanks for the input.. ..I am new to the world of 3geez but i am quickly growing to love the car.

Not like a rock
11-25-2003, 06:12 PM
My SE-i has the luggage rack. It also has a bashed in trunk lid, so I get to lose the ugly rack when I get a new trunk. But mine just has the regular light inside. Nothing on the...well, it isn't really a spoiler or a wing, just kind of a thin black...handle.

HaccordR89
11-25-2003, 07:53 PM
never seen a luggage rack on a 3gee, maybe just haven't been paying attention enough, how do they look?

Mystic1
11-25-2003, 08:08 PM
Like I say, mine looks just like the mustang in the link i posted near the begining. Also I had never seen one on this site, and I have been spending a lot of time hear reading and looking at pics. When I first saw my car, I saw the rack and thought 'this would make a killer sleeper'.

[That all went to hell when I started it. Compleatly free flowing without a 'cat' makes for one intimadating sound]

I'm not going to worry about replacing it, its in good shape. I'll just repaint the racks to match the body when the winter is over, the wing/spoiler/handle thing already matches. I'm poor and just trying to get in to interior and minor body mods. My ride is going to be a lab rat after a while but for now I'll just be doing simple things

shepherd79
11-26-2003, 04:33 AM
i have 86 with luggage rack. i think they were available on EFi models.

HondaBoy
11-26-2003, 11:21 PM
there is always the 2 brake lights in the corners, then the 3rd brake light in the center of the back window shelf, and most accessories related to the trunk like a lugage rack or spoiler have a 3rd, or 4th if you think if it like that. my accessory spoiler i have, but still not on the car, has the 3rd brake LED light. and yeah, thats totally normal.

Mystic1
11-27-2003, 08:01 PM
cool, thanks for all of the info guys.