PDA

View Full Version : Idle problems

locknload68
11-26-2003, 03:12 PM
Since the cold has set in, my carb is pretty much refusing to idle. Whenever I would stop or put the clutch in to make a turn it would stall.

So today I fiddled around with it some to get it to idle. I waited until the car warmed up then I turned the screw on the left of the carb (Idle Control Screw) until I got the car to idle. I noticed that even when warmed up, the choke does not open all the way and if I push it open, the car stalls.

I'm happy that the car doesn't stall all the time anymore, but the idle quality is crappy. The idle is fluctuating and when I let off the gas when coasting to a stop, the car kinda jumps foward because of this fluctuation. I'm pretty sure the car is running extremely rich beacause of that screw. It also diesels when I shut it off.

I know this is really long but if anybody has any ideas on how to get it to idle correctly, I'd be really happy. Thanks

k-roy
11-26-2003, 03:25 PM
Tune your carb!
http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117

joebeets
11-27-2003, 08:46 AM
Make sure the warm air hose into the air cleaner is seeing some engine vacuum until it's warmed up. Detach at the air cleaner and you should feel it with the motor running and cold.

If opening choke kills engine, you're running too lean, and too hot, which may explain the dieseling. Sounds like a vacuum leak, possibly at the carb / intake manifold gasket. Test by spraying carb cleaner in this area, engine cold-- watch out for fire.