PDA

View Full Version : CRAZY Idle problems

locknload68
06-26-2002, 05:56 PM
I've got a really bad problem. I've got a carb and my car will not idle correctly and sometimes it doesn't at all. When it does idle, it's around 1000-1500...always fluctuating inbetween. Then, sometimes, it will just die when I push in the clutch.

I've had the idle problems before, they just kind of randomly appear and go away by themselves. However, now I have another problem. When ever I turn the car to off with the key, it keeps dieseling. I just keeps on doing this and it sounds terrible. I let the clutch out to stop the engine and put the car out of it misery, but I know this can't be good for the car.

I'm 99% sure it's not a vacuum leak. It's either one of the screws associated with the idle or some other device.

Please respond with any ideas you have, I need to get this fixed.

DanG86LX
06-27-2002, 11:05 AM
Well, engine is dieseling when is too hot:
http://3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=533&highlight=dieseling
What your temperature gauge shows ? But this might be because your idle is too high. Does your throttle rest on stop screw ? ..Or it may rest on the throttle controller lever which is again not good. Maybe the linkage to the throttle is too tight.
Or maybe the "slow mixture cut off solenoid" is slow to release. This one is the anti - dieseling device on the carb. Is located on the firewall side of the carb.

ACCORD EX
06-27-2002, 03:09 PM
the dieseling is normal when you shut off your car @ 1000 rpm or more ! but it's not good for the car !

can you tell what is changed on the car igintion , filters ? PCV valve ?

any way check this how to to adjust the carb and get a carb cleaner tooo ! :D

http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/carb.htm

MIKE

locknload68
06-27-2002, 09:09 PM
I've recently changed all fuel filters, the PCV valve and I just used carb cleaner on it. I also have an Accel coil, new NGK wires, and fairly new plugs.

My idle has always been high, because it's being controlled by the stop screw on the passenger side of the carb. Yesterday I decided to try and lower the idle by turning the black screw on the back of the carb (clockwise raises the speed and counter-clockwise lowers it, right?). That's when it began dieseling and giving me all kinds of problems.

The temp of my engine is the same as it always has been. It's right below the middle.

I noticed that slow mixture cut off solenoid in my manual and I think that may be part or most of the problem. Is this hard to replace or test?

Thanks for your replies.

DanG86LX
06-28-2002, 08:22 AM
I've never changed mine but I tested it because I thought it may have something to do with my stalling problem. Once you locate the idle cut off solenoid ( a 1..1.5" metallic cylinder mounted horizontally into the carb, with a wire at the free end), follow the wire which goes under the intake manifold and you will find a connector. With the ignition ON but the engine OFF, make and break the connector let say 20 times. You should hear a click every single time. Do it faster and faster (ON, OFF for 1sec), because the plunger may release slower and then it misses.
But it may be that the plunger does not seat correctly there cutting off the idle fuel mixture..
FYI: the current my solenoid takes ~ 0.27A.