PDA

View Full Version : The limit of a PROPERLY TUNED internally stock turbo A20

Accordtheory
11-27-2003, 05:36 PM
I totally fucked my engine up with 8 psi, because I planned on upgrading the internals anyway and wasn't careful with the tuning. The engine has so much blow-by now that it starts to lose oil pressure at anything over 70 mph. (I still drive it though, and it still overpowers the tires halfway through first...but not in second anymore) Anyway, I am curious to know how much hp/torque I could have produced had I kept the engine from knocking, and with the A/F around 12.5:1 or so. This goes out to Justin, Johnny O, Sean, and anyone else who has turboed their internally stock accord. Is it worth it to drop in another stock short block, or do I have to drop $1400 on upgraded internals? If the stock short block can handle 250 hp, then I'll stick with it for now. By the way, I don't want to come across all snooty, but seriously, I don't want to hear just bullshit speculation on this. I want to hear about someone who blew their engine while monitoring it with a wideband 02 sensor, and with knock control. Otherwise, it doesn't mean shit, because if I wanted to, I could blow my accord engine with only like 4 psi, too much timing, not enough fuel, that's all it takes.

k-roy
11-27-2003, 05:51 PM
250hp is a little umm wishful thinking on stock internals. You are talking about more than doubling the power. Get some forged rods and pistons. That sould make it hold up a lot better. No I do not have a turbo or plan on getting one. Thats just my 2 cents.

shepherd79
11-27-2003, 06:40 PM
i think you may want to talk to Sean abotu fuel/air management. i think you should go with his GM custom ECU setup. it will help you to hold that 8psi easy.

Sean
11-27-2003, 08:06 PM
well ive put down 225whp so thats like over 250 flywheel on stock internals. im not sure what type of wheel tire packages are buying but i dont have traction problems nearly as much as clutch trouble. i can get the car to hook but i cant find a clutch that will hold all the time. so im not sure your making the power you though you were at 8 psi.

Justin86
11-27-2003, 10:47 PM
Even with forged pistons and rods, if the fuel/air and timing isn't done perfect it will mess up anything. The pistons big be strong but the rings will give jsut like they all ready did on you. Get some new pistons and rings and they will make a big difference. I went from an average of 145 PSI (compression) to 180PSI. So the stock internals are good unless you want to really push up the PSI but you first need to get the tuning down to perfection. I blew my engine with a N/A set up and with a turbo it would have really been bad.

Accordtheory
12-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Well, I think I am just going to drop in my extra stock short block, supposedly it only has like 70k miles on it, and I am going to be EXTREMELY careful with the tuning. I know if Sean has put down 225 whp, I will be able to also. By the way, yes, my tires are total garbage, and my clutch is now slips in first gear. I am also going to drop in my DX trans, which will make life even harder for the clutch, because of the higher final drive (3.86 vs. 4.06) By the way, have any of you guys used the GTech Pro accelerometer? I plan on getting one. Maybe it will tell me how much power I can get before I blow this engine...

Sean
12-01-2003, 05:50 PM
hmm the DX trans is nice but hard on the clutch for sure. im getting in touch with exedy this week about a dual or triple plate setup. id like to see this motor slip one of those eh ? well if you manage that engine right you should have no trouble putting down good power. dont forget however that i have extremly tight control of spark and fuel.

89blkhatchback
12-02-2003, 05:55 AM
how much does the clutch play a factor on how much boost to go and how many clutches have u gone through and which one is that best at what psi?

k-roy
12-02-2003, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by 89blkhatchback
how much does the clutch play a factor on how much boost to go and how many clutches have u gone through and which one is that best at what psi?

If Sean were to think about how many clutches for what price he has gone through he would want to cry. You should search through some of Sean's threads.

88turboaccord
12-03-2003, 01:21 AM
I will sell you my motor if you want it.. It has been re-built and is ready to go. I have boosted 18-22psi with no problems (proper fuel and timing has to be there of coarse..)

Accordtheory
12-04-2003, 05:43 PM
No shit?? How much, and what's in it? Why are you selling it? Are you getting out of the 3 geez game?

88turboaccord
12-04-2003, 09:30 PM
I have been out of it for 2 yrs. just been sitting.

It has JE 8.5:1 pistons.
Shotpinned and polished rods
New valves/springs, head has been re-done.
oil pan tapped for oil return for turbo

I also have the turbo manifold/JG intake manifold with fuel rail

Accordtheory
12-05-2003, 10:38 AM
All I need is the short block, I have everything else. (Although I might be able to use an extra cylinder head, if it's a good deal...)My turbo manifold is almost a work of art, (and an unbelieveable pain to construct )with 12/3/4" runners, the turbo sits more in front of the trans than the engine, and I will probably never replace it, as long as I stick with A20 power. So, the stock rods handled 22 psi? Do you have any hp figures? I assume the block is .020 over, right? Are there any miles on it since the rebuild, or did it just never get installed? Also, what type of rings are you using? And finally, HOW MUCH $ ?

Sean
12-05-2003, 11:00 AM
check the market place. i belive justin wanted $800. i belive the engine wash freshend before being put away. afor the header. to much work !! moving a battery etc man i love the look of your header but not worth it in interms of totaloutput.