PDA

View Full Version : Will my car work with all power steering lines gone?

Tref_LXI
11-28-2003, 11:52 AM
Ok i have a question about power steering/ac lines. If i remove all of them from the car will my speedo get messed up or do I have to just put some power steering fluid in the two hoses for the transmission? I was thinking I could remove all ac lines, compressor, power steering unit, all power steering lines, except the two on the transmission that keep it lubed.

A20A1
11-28-2003, 12:03 PM
I ended up plugging the steering rack and then I added in some trans fluid to the speedo cable since I didn't have any PS at the time. It might be better to hook up a bottle and run a line down to the bottom so you have constant oil to the speedo port... but relocate the fluid bottle near the firewall.

NXRacer
11-28-2003, 12:04 PM
you can remove the power steering lines, but it'll be hard to steer because you have to work against the hydralics. Its possible, but it gets especially hard at low speeds.

BootMachine
11-28-2003, 01:37 PM
YES!

I have dont this.

I have removed ALL my AC lines and ALL my PS lines!

My speedo mech on the tranni got too hot and broke so I replaced it and packed the new one with grease!

The steering is retardedly heavy but I deal with it...at speed its ok but you can forget ever steering with one hand again.

The PS rack ended up with a little bit of play after about 60 000 kms and an annoying shutter so I swaped it out for a manual rack and nothing!

k-roy
11-28-2003, 03:06 PM
Hey Bootmachine.
I did the same thing. Where did you score the manual rack?

NXRacer
11-28-2003, 04:05 PM
no kidding.i heard those things are hard as hell to find. I wonder if there is another model honda that had manual steering that could swap into ours.......

i've also heard you can pack the PS assembly with grease and cap it off and it helps some. anyone heard of this?

Tref_LXI
11-28-2003, 05:36 PM
I actually like driving without power steering, so I will do this. I am just going to take both lines that go into the tranny and fill them with power steering fluid and stick a bolt through and clamp it.

4sillypwr
11-28-2003, 05:50 PM
So what model, year does that manual rack come off? I dislike power steering a lot. Here is a good thread about looping power steering hoses. honda-tech thread (http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=184202?option=long)

-David

86dxAccord
11-28-2003, 05:52 PM
I have no power steering. It sucks at first but you get used to it.

dXsquared
11-28-2003, 05:57 PM
i also have NO PS... i could hook anyone up with a manual rack... it would be a bitch to ship, but in canada, you can buy them at autoparts stores!!

Travis

4sillypwr
11-28-2003, 06:02 PM
Hhhrrmmm.... Canadian accords got the manual racks? That is very very interesting. I know a lot of CRX people up there. In fact I'm going to go to Niagra this spring and get wasted at N10 :) I'm gonna see if anyone can get me a price on those babies.

-David

k-roy
11-28-2003, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
i also have NO PS... i could hook anyone up with a manual rack... it would be a bitch to ship, but in canada, you can buy them at autoparts stores!!

Travis

How much for a new one then?

it's paid for
11-28-2003, 06:08 PM
I really appreciate this thread . . .

. . . hey . . . while I'm at it . . . I've removed the vacuum lines . . . I'm getting a valve job . . . I've removed the a/c unit . . . so . . . why not go all the way and remove the p/s crap . . .

. . . I remember turning off my car and driving about 50 feet into my parking spot at work one day . . . I nearly pooped in my pants when I discovered how difficult it was to steer . . . at first I thought I'd lost control and was going to hit my coworkers new Jeep Liberty . . . that was a close one . . .

. . . as long as the steering mechanism has some sort of fluid or lube in it, it's not dangerous to do without the power assist, right?

. . . how empty my engine bay will be without all this crap . . .

. . . the way it should be, eh?

Long live simplicity!

86dxAccord
11-28-2003, 06:12 PM
As long as the vehicle is in motion, you wont really notice the lack of power steering. The big popper happens when your are in a complete stop.

dXsquared
11-28-2003, 06:23 PM
KROY, ill check and see when i go to werk on Monday.. i should be able to get them for a real good price since i work at a garage...

Travis

Tref_LXI
11-28-2003, 08:04 PM
please explain what you are all talking about.... steering rack thing.

it's paid for
11-29-2003, 05:47 AM
. . . actually, it was my brakes that went out . . . the steering was still okay . . .

k-roy
11-29-2003, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Tref_LXI
please explain what you are all talking about.... steering rack thing.

The main differance between power steering and manual steering is in the steering box itself. The power model has a hydrolic assist coming from the pump, while the manual does not. So the actual rack and pinion unit is differant. Now my car is much more difficuly to manuver at low speeds. The actual manual rack will halp with this.

I removed the pump, resivor and lines for now.By removing the PS from my car I now have greater control, a bit more power and a tad better gas mileage.