PDA

View Full Version : Don't flip the carb right?

1989 DX R
06-26-2002, 09:32 PM
Well this guy did!!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1839437404

87DXHatch
06-26-2002, 11:41 PM
Hahahaha! That is hilarious! It would take a pretty sharp eye to catch that...

Kudos!

POS carb
06-27-2002, 10:33 AM
I emailed him, lets see if he's decent and pulls it. What a shame, that carb looked clean

pimp86LX
06-27-2002, 12:19 PM
i'm dumb...please explain!

dj99
06-27-2002, 12:28 PM
What are the chances that the post office or UPS would honor a "THIS END UP" sticker? :lol

87DXHatch
06-27-2002, 06:46 PM
A couple things...

First, and this one has always puzzled me, why does flipping a carb over kill it?

and second, how the heck would you ship a carb without it flipping over at some point?

YK86
06-27-2002, 08:24 PM
Unless something has totally changed from the 2nd gen's, I don't really understand why either so I'd like to know too. The only problems I can see happening is if the fuel and junk built up at the bottom of the bowl get sloshed around, that would clog something up.

ACCORD EX
06-28-2002, 02:06 PM
:wtf: :wtf:

i don't understand why it is so cheap ! :rolleyes:

MIKE

POS carb
06-29-2002, 10:14 PM
don't argue just listen to me or go flip your carb and shut the fuck up. I've done it twice, I still can't figure it out but it happens! it just won't hold fuel, it dumps it all into your intake manifold. you may as well just shove the fuel hose down the throttle plates, you'll get the same effect!

< end of rant :p >

YK86
06-30-2002, 12:31 AM
LOL. Not arguing but I am still interested in some kind of explanation. I was just looking at the disassembled picture of the carb in the factory manual but I don't see anything that would get screwed up by flipping it upside down UNLESS the float level pin gets shifted out of position upside down which would cause flooding. But you can fix that by unscrewing the float level screw and resetting adjusting it.

87DXHatch
07-01-2002, 08:32 PM
Well then how the hell are you supposed to get a Weber Carb if it has to be shipped? Also, so that means if you are ever in a roll-over and the car makes it, you are screwed?

POS carb
07-02-2002, 09:41 AM
no it's only a problem on some Honda carbs

Yasu, the picture only tells half the story, inside the bowl there's like half a mile of passages and chambers and little valves. It's not the float needle trust me because all of a suddent the bowl CANNOT HOLD FUEL anymore, it just all oozes down into the manifold, it doesn't even get up enough to register on the float window.

doug
07-07-2002, 09:54 AM
just finished a rebuild on the keihin and during the process the carb was flipped many times (while dis-assembled). after assembly the carb was not flipped. as for the leak problems on the carb rebuild by POS carb I can suggest a crack in the plastic float which will cause it to sink and leak, a stuck float in the open position which will cause the same effect or a power valve which is stuck open, this being the least possible due to the pump arm.

Shagen
08-03-2002, 05:16 PM
It's obvious dont flip a carb...why no one knows its a mechanical mystery. But the fact that their are so many tiny parts to a carb would point to the fact that if they get out of order things wont work

StolenKar
08-06-2002, 06:05 PM
Just like mikuni carbs it has a ball type valve that shuts down fuel when the carb is upside down. It's a safety feature for when the car flips like in a serious accident so it doesn't start a fire.
:pissed: